Printer status show off

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Alex9779, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I finally have a working, manageable and secure solution for showing the world what I am printing at the moment without using all my home bandwidth!
    I have been working on this for quite a while to be able to show potential customers their prints.

First the important information:
    On https://www.alitecs.de/projekte/bigbox/ and https://www.alitecs.de/projekte/ultimaker-2/ you can see current snapshot of my printer's build area. The picture is loaded once you open the page. It does not refresh automatically (yet) you have to refresh the page yourself (I am working on this).

If I am printing something "confidential" then I deactivate that page in my CMS.
    The CMS is setup in a way that if you go to that page via the menus then you land on the first child of that folder which is the public viewable page normally, in confidential mode this page is unpublished and the private page is the first child which is protected. I f unauthorised you will see a login dialog.
    Customers will get user accounts to see their prints.
    When the print is finished is just deactivate the customer account an republish the public page.

The page uses PHP to get a snapshot from the OctoPi's webcam MJPEG service via a VPN connection to my LAN. The snapshot is save as a file and that file is presented on the page.
    Not the URL of the actual webcam snapshot or the OctoPi, which is not public accessible...

So I think I found a secure solution of publishing a snapshot of my printers to the world without presenting the OctoPi or portions of the OctoPi to the public...

EDIT: sorry posted the wrong link for the UM2... Corrected now...

#1 Alex9779, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    wahatever and Miasmictruth like this.
  2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@Alex9779 : Interesting, but I only see a login page. The same goes for Projecte / BigBox and Ultimaker 2.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah because the public one is disabled at the moment :). Have to put up a message perhaps what's going on when public access is disabled...

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I had to change my script to load the picture only every 60 seconds.
    Someone kept the page open, someone from Canada (?) maybe... A whole day... Transferred 2GB from my home to my root server... The images server by the root are compressed but the incoming traffic was too high.
    A snapshot is about 500kb, every 10 secs = 180MB per hour...
    So the image is refreshed now every 10 seconds but the image is loaded only every 60 seconds from the Pi...