Printer Works but getting a lot of noise from Y axis idlers

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Archania, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    Well except for the stringing issue, the printer is working. Was great but now I'm getting a lot of noise (creaking like a sinking ship) when it travels in the Y axis while moving.
    Was in the right side where the Y motor is but now it's on both sides.
    Not sure why. Thinking of loosing the screws and readjust? Too tight? Or it just hates me.

I did film it to show:

2. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I don't get anything like that sort of noise, my BB is mostly fairly quiet except for the steppers,although it does need the smooth rods to be kept well greased to stay that way. At one point I got some minor noise because one of the pulleys on the rear rod was rubbing slightly on the acrylic but loosening off the grub screw and pushing it inwards easily fixed that.

Are you able to move the carriage by hand and get the same sort of noise? I would check your belt tension and definitely whether the Y axis mounts are tight and square to the frame and the rods held in tightly.

3. Archania

I can't remember if i get it by hand. Need to wait for this print to finish later today.
    It was very quite in the beginning.. now makes that noise. I'll have to try what you suggest tonight after work.

Thanks!

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That is not a noise I've heard but when I had noise due to movement I found that all the carriage and motor screws had loosened as well as the frame screws. It is now a regular check for me to ensure that carriage screws are tight.

5. Archania

All screws are tight. Going to have to take it apart tonight and see. Maybe bushings and the Y axis rod is putting stress on them?

6. Steve1334

Steve1334 Member

Hello, My Big Box just started making the same noise recently coming from the right side...but was fine before.
    Did you ever get the noise resolved?
    Thanks

7. Archania

I actually loosened all the screws at the top. Seems to have worked but now my printer is a dust collector. Doesn't start due to temp fluctuating like mad and can't seem to connect to the board via usb to save my life.

8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Have you done PID auto-tune as this is necessary? Marlin looks for the temperature to stay within limits for a certain time before it allows extrusion to start. PID adjusts the parameters that control the temperature to ensure that it does not overshoot or drop below the limits that are set.

9. Archania

that is what i am looking up now to do. I got it connected once via usb but can't remember the post that had a trick to get it to connect.

10. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

If you're trying to connect to Simplify 3D then you need to change the baud rate in S3D.

Sorry, away from the machine so I can't give the figure!

11. Archania

I got it. Found the thread for it. And bookmarked it cause I'll forget lol.
    Trying to get it to print a nice layer now.