SOLVED Printing in mid air

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Crashbombs, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Crashbombs

Crashbombs Well-Known Member

Ok, so everything was going great with my printer, until the other day.

I was printing something and I was fairly certain it would print fine so I walked away from it. When I got back a few hours later, it had failed catastrophically. Anyway, ever since that print failed, the print head will not get anywhere near the bed. I've tried re-calibrating the Z-Axis but I run out of travel before the nozzle touches the glass.

So what do I do? I thought of putting some washers under the posts holding the print bed up to make it taller, but I didn't know if that would effect anything else.

Also, how would this have happened in the first place. The only thing I can think of is if something got bent or pushed in, but there is nothing I can see that would indicate this is true. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

I had this problem when I had a little piece of plastic that was getting in the way of the bed and the upper supports... Take a look around the acme screws and the rods to see if there is anything sitting there that would prevent the bed from moving up.

3. Crashbombs

If I adjust the bed height manually it will go all the way up to the point that I can start bowing the supports. At which point the nozzle will have just touched the glass on the bed, but since the frame is bowed I don't think this is ideal. I will check for plastic though when I get home.

4. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

How did it fail?
    Are you using Auto Bed Leveling or Mesh Bed Leveling.
    Is there a chance the failure messed with the IR sensor?
    By the frame being bowed do you mean the upper supports are bowed? As in the acrylic pieces that the top of the z axis rods go into?

5. Crashbombs

Ya the upper supports, will bow if I manually run the bed up that high. It might be cause there is plastic in that area but I don't think that is the cause.

I'm not sure how it failed I walked away for about 2 hours and came back to a mess. I think a part detached from the bed and it messed everything up.

My first thought was the IR sensor too, so I tried to re-calibrate from scratch and the first step is touch the nozzle to the bed. Which I can't achieve.

I do use auto bed leveling but it has been producing the same results, I don't quiet understand mesh bed leveling, it's not something I have looked into yet.

Also my BB is a pro single head hybird with titan.

6. Crashbombs

So I still don't know what caused the bed to lower so drastically, but I add three washers under each corner of the bed to bring up its height. I then re-zero'd the Z axis and this seems to have solved my issues.