Printing Speed Effect

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by JohnEsc, May 11, 2016.

1. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

What would you recommend for the BigBox printing speed for a model such as the one shown in this image below if the creator is saying it doesn't require support but suggested slow print speeds?

I haven't tinkered with the BigBox default speed of 50mm/s for any of my prints. I did print this object already at 40mm/s but wasn't really happy with the result. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I'd be so expecting that to fail, if I designed it myself I'd try to come up with another way: like just printing the posts and then feeding wire through them to create the horizontal bars.

It looks like those bars have a round profile in the outer ring and a square profile on the inner. I wonder what kind of profile you'll get with bridging?

The only thing is to try (reducing the cylindrical base to 1mm so as not to waste time & plastic printing that), but I don't think slowing it down is going to help but rather that it will make things worse.

Lots and lots of fan?

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Initially, fast with high cooling is needed but it so much depends on the bridging span and filament. Richard Horne did some pretty impressive bridging a while ago and posted his results, so it may be worth searching his blogs to see. I would be tempted to print the horizontal bars separately with rounded ends and put small detents in the uprights to snap the bars into. The inner top is an octagonal ring so that is easy. But, if this is a Thingiverse model you don't have many options.

Miasmictruth likes this.
  4. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I agree, read RichRaps blog bridging really come down to tinkering after you get the base knowledge. Every filament will be different in this respect but after you get some experience with it, its not terribly hard.

For quick calibration I would recommend an object like this

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12925

Just something quick to print so you can iterate on your settings.

JohnEsc likes this.
  5. JohnEsc

I tried ur recommendation @Miasmictruth of printing the bridge test and I also printed a different one with very good results:

However, when printing the model using the same settings it resulted in the mess show here:
    [​IMG]

I am tinkering with the model now and attempting @R Design suggestion of designing and printing the model with just the posts with holes and then I'll feed some filament thru the holes. Created one already but the holes weren't large enough for the diameter of the filament which I measured to be about 1.67mm in thickness, thought I'd be safe with a 1.8mm hole but the filament was too thick for the holes, I'm assuming it was due to shrinkage?...
    [​IMG]

6. mike01hu

My nemesis is white filament with S3D! Something to do with fillers. No probs with Slic3r. Anyway, you seem to heave a solution. The bridge test piece turned out very well, so it's a pity it didn't carry through to the model.

7. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Humm well looks like your test was with a different filament that may be a factor.

Also maybe stretch the test object to be the same length of bridge.

The one factor I am less sure about is the pegs are round. They may be the biggest problem as your first layer would only be 1 or 2 passes. It would probably work better if the bridges had a flat bottom.

You may need to create a test model that has a round bridge or at least a round bottom if you wanted to try again.

8. R Design

Those holes that are not quite big enough: don't be afraid to take a drill to them.

Given that holes will always be a big wider than they are high, the alternative is to print them too wide. So they might look better printed too small and then lightly drilled.

9. JohnEsc

Worked great @R Design Thanks for the suggestion:
    [​IMG]

Mike Kelly and mike01hu like this.
  10. R Design

Indeed it looks fantastic!

Now for the 2nd part....

mike01hu likes this.
  11. mike01hu