Printrbot Metal Plus and V6 Hotend

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Joules, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Joules

Joules Member

After getting totally frustrated with the supplied hot end I pulled my V6 out of store. I had intended to use the V6 Lite but it has an all stainless heatsink and the mods I need to do for a straight swap hot end made that more difficult to machine.

[​IMG]

First off was to machine the heatsink for a 12x1mm thread. My intention is to put an extension cap onto the hot end.

[​IMG]

You can see the problem here with hot end's side by side. The Metal Plus doesn't have room to take the V6 direct as the Z stepper motor will collide with the chassis and the nozzle won't reach the bed and I wasn't impressed with other solutions to mounting the V6.

[​IMG]

The finished cap, with clearance groove for the fixing bolt. The top three heatsink fins needed reducing by 1.5mm diameter to clear the mounting bracket. Still to do is modify the fan and make a new cooling duct, I also need a 25w heater so I can use the existing PSU. Then I hope to be back in business, I like the Metal plus for its construction and bearings, but Boy is that hot end a dog.

[​IMG]

Hot end in position waiting completion.

Joules

Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Really really sexy implementation! Lovely machining work there too. Impressive all around.

Let us know how you get on, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the V6 compared the the Ubis, I've not done a direct comparison myself.

3. Joules

Joules Member

Cheers Sanjay, I shall be ordering a 12v 25w heater when I get my act together. I did a similar job on the Rostock Max V1, it's hot end was pretty much doing the same as this one and the E3D V5 turned it into a joy to use. The problems with the Ubis for me, no active cooling and the Peek gets hot, no visable heatbreak and the amount of metal at the hot end holds so much plastic it ozzes from start to finish. I also dislike the flat nozzle they use as it tends to drag and pick up which in turn results in more blobs on the print.

Having looked on this forum I do like the water cooled head I saw, might be tempted to do another heatsink with that option as blasting dust onto the bearing rails isn't COOL ... :lol:

4. mofeliz

mofeliz New Member

Hey there Joules! Nice job with the E3D + metal plus there! I have the same problem and looks like your solution is the best one out there. I was wondering how it worked out for you. Worth the effort? Thanks!!

5. Joules

Joules Member

Embarrassingly, I have only just tonight ordered the heater I needed for this. To be honest I haven't been impressed with the Printrbot and its only now due to my other printer breaking down due to wear and tear that I am getting back to the Printrbot. It needs a display head to really use it than tie up a PC/laptop. I think probably a Raspberry Pi and Octopi, now that software is suitably developed will solve my immediate frustrations. Will let you know in another 6 months...

#5 Joules, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  6. Nerdly

Nerdly New Member

Hi Joules,

Modified hot end looks great. Any chance you'd consider selling this one or possibly machining another?

Thanks,
    Jason

7. ChinookTx

ChinookTx New Member

I second the request! Joules, any chance you'd be willing to sell this mod? I'd buy 3 for sure!

8. Joules

Joules Member

Sorry guys I have had set back after set back in the workshop recently, am trying to get a couple done for Jason. It should never have taken this long, so for now they are not something I will make in bulk as they are all hand made. 8-(

If I get over this current BUMP, it might change.

9. scramble45

scramble45 New Member

Man I desperately need one of these adapters, any chance I could order one?

ChinookTx likes this.