Problem with filament stock in hotend.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Ken Engels Henriksen, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Ken Engels Henriksen

Hi,

I got this problem: The extruder motor get stock after approx. 3-20 sec of printing and skip filament moving, so I start to troubleshoot and found this. My setup is this: A brand new E3D all metal extruder v. 6, with the Bowden tube (that comes with the kit, 10 cm), heat the hotend to 220c and manually push the filament into the extruder, the first few cm goes well, from the nozzle fine flow, but after about 10-30mm of filament it is not possible to push more filament into the extruder. If I wait 10-20 sec I can start push at little more in. I can extract the filament with no problem, and from measuring the filament position, it is about the first ΒΌ of the hotend it gets stock.

- Nozzle not blocked, starts with a fine flow.
    - 0.4 mm nozzle, 1.75 mm filament.
    - Try 2 difference filament type (all PLA) same result.
    - I believe the hotend is assembly correct, nozzle first, heatsink, tight, 280c, Bowen tube touch heatsink.
    - Fan is on.
    - Bowen tube has the little locking pin, the prevent extraction.
    - Latest marvin software, Thermal setting: thermistor sensor number 5.
    - I am not able to get the temperature of the hotend, with my laser? But I can melt filament on the metal, and my finger also think is hot :), learn by doing.

Any solutions, looking forward to my first print, thanks
    Ken

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Maybe increase the temperature a little ? 230 maybe?

It sounds like the hotend has time to heat up before you push the filament through (so it melts)
    Then there isn't enough heat so you can't extrude.
    Waiting a minute means the heat builds up again (so you can extrude again)

3. Ken Engels Henriksen

Thanks, after a talk with E3D, the following solved the problem: The hot end fan was mounted wrong, need to reversed it. Then i realized i is not possible to manual feed the hotend (just for test), it needs a lot of force, and the extruder i got was not geared, now it working fine.