Problems with Scaffold

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by richgain, Oct 1, 2016.

1. richgain

richgain Well-Known Member

Very disappointing results with using Scaffold as support material for Edge so far.
    I'm printing my Scaffold support at 210 C and it's going down well onto my PrintBite bed surface.
    After several layers, the Edge is being deposited at 240 C onto the dense layers of support underneath but it isn't sticking. The Edge filament just rolls around in a ball sticking to the nozzle.
    I have silicon rubber socks on both blocks which helps a bit (it's worse without them) but I don't know how to get the Edge to stick better to the Scaffold support.
    Any suggestions?

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

This is just a guess as I've never used either but if it were me I'd try setting the support separation offset to 0 - in your case you're not worried about the support being too firmly bonded since it's being dissolved.

3. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Yeah thats a obvious one, also use densd support layers

4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Scaffold should be printed at 215. make sure as mentioned above that you have no upper or lower vertical separation layers in the slicer.

also check your extruders are calibrated correctly. Keep your print speed to 50mm/s or less.

5. richgain

Thanks for the comments.
    Yes, I have set separation to 0 and Dense support layers to 2. I usually print at 30 or 40 mm/s.
    I will try printing the Scaffold at 215.
    I've had a lot of filament grinding of the Scaffold since my last post. I think some Scaffold got burned in the nozzle at the end of the previous print.
    I do worry when the the secondary hot end stays on after the need for support material ends, but the primary nozzle continues printing for a long time.
    Is there a guide somewhere for correctly setting the tension of the idler?

6. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

If you have long periods where scaffold is not being printed but the nozzle is being held at 215, I usually edit the g-code to turn the hotend off, and then turn it back on when it needs to start printing again.

markoaurelije likes this.
  7. piankoc

piankoc Member

rich
    you say you have the silicon on both hotends, are you using 2 v6s or a chimera or something else? I am trying to find a good way to get both socks on the chimera

8. richgain

Two standard v6 hot ends but both already quite well gummed up with old filament. I think the silicon socks might stay in place better if they were used from the outset when the blocks are clean.

9. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

I'm struggling with Scaffold as well, however I use PLA. In the description on the E3D webshop it says it should work with PLA too.

"Scaffold also works well with PLA, adhesion is not as strong as with PET"
    In my case, I'm trying to print Scaffold on top of PLA and Scaffold is simply not sticking to the PLA.

100% new Scaffold right out of the packaging. Any tips?

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had this problem too with PLA... Never found parameters to make it work, that was the old Scaffold before official release and Colorfabb PLA/PHA...

11. richgain

I tried again with Scaffold using it as the support for Greg's new hybrid dual fan. Red PET-G at 240C, Scaffold at 215C, both from 0.4 nozzles, support at 35% normal / 85% dense; Ooze-less Ram Purge profile. After lots of grinding the left extruder eventually gave up; the print continued but with holes in the now unsupported areas. I'm beginning to wonder if the Scaffold filament doesn't cope well with the fast reverse in the ram purge script.

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

12. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

I have the exact same setup. One of the first spools of Scaffold (beta) and blue Colorfabb PLA/PHA.

Have you had more success with the never formula?

13. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

if you are using gregs script, you do need to slow the purging considerably, had the same issue with the grinding

btw looks like the edge part of the profile could use some work as well

14. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm using the ram purge script on Scaffold with the default speed and I haven't had a single grinding issue...?

15. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

I've found that bumping the temperature some helps, but I still have troubles. Check out the difference between running Scaffold (BETA) at 215C versus 223C. You will see that the latter prints nicer, however adhesion to the PLA is still not good.

215C

223C

I don't want to push the temperature even more, I'm scared it will brown in the nozzle and clog.

16. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

So I decided to give Hilbert's cube a try. Everything looked really good, until the second instance of Scaffold on PLA came around... This time it didn't stick much AT all. It was turning out so bad that I considered cancelling the print. However, let it continue and it actually recovered.

This gave me a chance to look at the PLA on Scaffold interaction (so the other way around) and this is really quite nice, no complaints here. Have a look at the video.

Here is the final result with Scaffold.
    IMG_2504.JPG

richgain, mike01hu and Spoon Unit like this.
  17. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

How do Stratasys do it?

By using ABS?

18. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Awesome looking result.

19. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

Here is the result after dissolving the Scaffold.

IMG_2506.JPG

Here's a close up of the surface finish where the PLA/PHA interfaces with the Scaffold (so in this photo the print is upside down). Pretty good!
    IMG_2508.JPG

mike01hu and PsyVision like this.
  20. richgain

Very nice! I'd definitely be happy with that.