problems with V6 and glow in dark PLA

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Golman, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Golman

Golman Member

Hello, I've just replaced the stock hot end on my rigidbot with a V6. It printed in ABS very nicely with no jams, but it always jams when I'm trying to print in glow-in-the-dark PLA.

I've tried adjusting the temperature, bringing the retraction rate down to 0.8, and even tried feeding the filament through a sponge soaked in canola oil.

What else can I try to fix this? Is it possible that the glow in the dark PLA is too think or not smooth enough? It has a different texture to normal PLA.

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Have you measured the filament several dozen times along the length with calipers?

3. Golman

Golman Member

Yep, I measured the filament with calipers and it's spot on.

I also tried bringing retraction down to 0.4 and using a different (normal) PLA filament, but the same thing happens. It works for awhile, usually gets the first layer down, then gets blocked. If I leave it "printing" while blocked it becomes to hard to remove, and I have to disassemble the hot end to clear it out.

Seems to me like the V6 doesn't like PLA? It works fine with ABS

4. Golman

Golman Member

So, I tried printing with 0 retraction, and dropped speed down to 50. Same thing happened. After the first layer the PLA got well and truly stuck in there. I now have to spend another hour pulling apart the e3d v6 and try to get the jam out. I'm starting to think all the v6 stuff I've been hearing was just hype. For me it's nothing but problems and time wasted assembling/disassembling :(

5. cantax

cantax Member

I got the same problems printing innofil3d. Other pla filaments works fine.
    For me, this fixed the jamming problem: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=177&start=90#p1735

First, i tried to drill my noozle just a bit to about 3.35-3.45mm. Got better but didn't solve the jamming at all. Then i drilled it to 3.55-3.65mm.
    You can test the effect bei heating your extruder to a low pla temperature like 190°C. Extrude a bit by hand. Wait 1-5min and extrude again. If the first 1mm to extrude needs a lot of force, you still got jamming. Drill your noozle a bit more. The higher the temperature, the higher the jamming effect.

After the noozle drilling i can wait for about 5-10 min at 230°C. After that the extrusion works fine without any force needed.

I understand your disappointment. I was disappointed, too. Needed a lot of time to got this Hotend working like they promised it would work.

6. Ralph Hilton

Ralph Hilton Well-Known Member

I had problems with glow in the dark jamming but it sorted out increasing the temperature to 245C.

7. ultibrain

ultibrain Member

when printing below 225 with pla on my 3d v6 3mm bowden version, I get jamming too. At 225 it seems ok. I use mostly colorfabb pla.

8. licensed2hench

Did you ever get this to print?
    I have had lots of problems with glow in the dark ABS. One of the main reasons why I switched to a V6 head.

Part of the problem is that the glow in the dark doesn't like the lower layer heights. Mine was always jamming on the second layer because the first layer is a bit higher due to calibration error. So upping the layer height helped.
    I picked up an extra .5 nozzle to try out as well.

Lots of web sited say to up the temperature on the GID filament, but I found lowering it was key. After a local suppler recommended it saying they always run their glow in the dark PLA 15 deg cooler than their other PLA.

On the ABS higher temps cause foaming, which was causing back pressure and jamming. It was not from moisture as I first thought, but from some other volatile. Either something in the glow in the dark powder itself or something added to the filament to make the powder more printable? Either way dropping the temp was the key for me.