Product proposal: Filament fuser

Discussion in 'General' started by UlrichKliegis, Dec 3, 2015.

1. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

What would you fellow forumists and you guys at E3D think about a neat product, in E3D style and quality, that would let users help fuse filaments end to end? There have been some approaches in the past, but I think that the expertise of the E3D staff in handling filaments, heaters, coolers and controllers might lead to something reliable and thus useful.

Comments?

Cheers,
    U.

Skinny Kid likes this.
  2. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

id be down.
    for something like this.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've seen a few attempt at it but it still seems a bit to complicate

I'm curious if ultrasonic welding might be the best for this

4. thingster

thingster Active Member

For joining/splicing 1.75 mm filament you want to take a piece of teflon tube whose inside diameter is a little bit wider than the filament itself (1.8 mm or so). Then you put the two filament ends into that tube (you should cut the filament ends diagonally), press them together, place the piece of PTFE tube over a little candle, what until the filament inside of the tube melts and flows into each other. Now take the tube away, and what until it cooled down (or put it in a glass of water). If needed you can cut the tube open and remove it. This method takes a few second and works - at least for me - perfectly. Similar approach for 3 mm filament.

Skinny Kid likes this.
  5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That's a novel approach that could easily be produced with an electric heater coiled around the tube. The cooling requires a bit more thought but a peltier device cools on one junction so this may be used but a simple heat-sink might be all that's needed.

Mike

6. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

7. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

i've done that and it works but it means you need to have a free end to thread the tube off. A more flexible solution would be something like hair straightener plates with a groove.

RichRap hasn't said much since that blog post which probably isn't a good sign.

But I'd be interested. I'm still following the progress of the mosaic palette system which I think is a great idea.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer