COMPLETE "Project Whisper" Making BigBox Quiet

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by JvdP, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

FYI for acrylic drilling, use a drill made to drill acrylic. trust me, its worth it.

2. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

The room where my BigBox lives serves many purposes. Obviously, first of all, it's the 3D-printing-Cave for me. However, it also doubles as an office for both me and my girlfriend. As she works from home in that office I could not run the BigBox while she worked, it was just too noisy. To top it all, the room is also a guest room with a 140cm murphy bed. And all of that on just 13 sqm (140 sqft). So what I decided to do is use the wardrobe that hides the murphy bed now also hides the BigBox if needed!

This really cuts down the noise. I can hardly hear the printer. I've lined the storage with pyramid acoustic foam, I think this helps a lot. Perhaps on my wishlist is a better way to hang spools (as the back is no longer easy to reach) and maybe some ventilation. Eventually it would be great to have some automatic fire extinguisher installed since this hole setup doesn't exactly make me sleep well at night with the printer running...

In the photo below you see the PAX wardrobe. The sliding doors are half open, on the right is the printer.

IMG_3082s.jpg

IMG_3068s.jpg

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

That just looks so awesome with the light reflecting off all the pyramids in that area. Great job! :)

JvdP likes this.
  4. MyMakibox

MyMakibox Well-Known Member

Enabling FAST_PWM_FAN in Marlin quietens the hotend fan noticeably.