Protopasta High Temp PLA Query

Discussion in 'General' started by twicx, Jul 31, 2014.

1. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

Quick question regarding the Protopasta High Temp PLA.

As many of you will know, I've been having an ongoing battle with my printer to ultimately get a dual e3d v5 extruder. Despite ENDLESS battles with ABS and my heatbed, it's now very much put on hold.

HOWEVER, I'm intrigued by this high temp PLA. PLA has always been much easier for me to print. So, new idea, print in this and use it for the extruder carriage. How well do you think it would hold up as an extruder carriage?

2. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

It will hold up just fine as an extruder carriage - good idea!

3. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

Oooh! This is great news! Now its tricky, I'm saving for my holidays in September, but I'm gonna need to order some of that and a new psu. The ones you have I think are the same as the one I had. That's how bad things got haha!

4. Ralph Hilton

Ralph Hilton Well-Known Member

My extruder and carriage are printed in standard PLA. With the low temperature of the top of the E3D there is no problem. That high temperature PLA seems extremely highly priced.

5. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

Worth it. All the fun sexy materials like carbon fibre, conductive abs, nylon etc need higher temps. Worth the high price to get this carriage done for dual heads.