Prusa Research & e3d PTFE preparation instruction difference

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by MTJC, Jul 31, 2018.

1. MTJC

MTJC Member

Hey guys. I noticed a difference in instructions for prepping the PTFE that goes into the e3d v6 hot end between Prusa Research and e3d and I'm wondering why that might be.

From e3d's V6 Assembly guide: https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Guide/V6+Assembly/6?lang=en#s79

[​IMG]

From Prusa Research How to trim PTFE tube - MK2/S, MK2.5 and MK3 guide: https://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/How+to+trim+PTFE+tube+-+MK2-S+MK2.5+and+MK3/500#s8094

[​IMG]

When someone asked how to get that external 45 degree chamfer on the end that goes into the hot end, an admin even recommended they try using a pencil sharpener to achieve it.

#1 MTJC, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

The 45 degree angle is slightly better, but an unnecessary step for the home-gamer.

Easy to do on a production line though, but benefits are minimal.

The 60 deg internal cut probably has more in the way of actual benefits, but is difficult without proper tools.

MTJC likes this.
  3. MTJC

MTJC Member

Thanks for your answer. May I ask why/how it would be slightly better though? Does e3d prep their ptfe tubes like Prusa Research for the fully prepared v6's? Thanks.

#3 MTJC, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

The internal cut can easily be achieved (I'm sure 60o is not at all critical) with a drill bit. See my instructions here several years ago on cutting the ptfe with a sharp knife ! so as not to squash it, bending the ptfe straight etc.

Plus run a small drill bit through the inside down through where the countersink is to clean out any swarf. This is also useful to check that whole hole is the right diameter and not blocked with bits of ptfe.

I suspect that neither angle is critical at the exact angle suggested unless it has to fit exactly in another part, and the 45o as the cut is on the outside if a little rough isn't going to affect the passage of the filament, smoothing the 45o angle on wet and dry paper should work perfectly well.

5. MTJC

MTJC Member

Thanks for weighing in @Old_Tafr , appreciated. Yeah, the internal 60 degree is not my issue but the external 45 is. For starters, I'ved noticed on the e3d heatbreak schematics that the area the ptfe tube butts up against isn't even 45 degrees but something shallower which makes me think it might cause a pinch of the ptfe tube cut with a 45 degree external chamfer.
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know if e3d cut a 45 degree external chamfer on the ptfe tubing used in any of their prebuilt v6's?

6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Yes, a proper size drill bit would qualify as a "proper tool". You might be surprised to find how many people use/assemble 3D printers these days with very little in the way of tools. Probably half our customers don't own multimeters.

mhe likes this.