PSU fan gone wonky

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Björn, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Anyone else experienced this? Makes a horrible noise.... Guess this is another bottom off job then. must be a better way to make the internals more serviceable..

2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I was thinking of some elaborate frame to support the Rumba and PT 100 amps in the same position but mounted from the upper section, then spin the PSU upside down and mount that from the upper section as well. That only leaves the Octopi and its PSU on the base which are easy to disconnect.

Björn likes this.
  3. Dr Jeep

Of course experimentation would be far simpler if it was possible to buy spare sections of the acrylic frame, I guess I could get one cut locally but it's just going to be a pain to source a small quantity of the same material.

4. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

I was thinking along what you said above, mount all stuff on the upper bottom and leave the bottom part clear

5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

It's worth asking E3D if they are able to supply them. I cracked one of my panels while attempting to drill a hole in it and got in touch with them and was able to buy a replacement.

I had some crazy idea about trying to mount the Rumba suspended from the upper base by using standoffs to mount the PCB from above and printing some sort of extension pieces, maybe using the cover screw holes, but I haven't had time to go anywhere with it since work and overtime/weekend working has completely eaten all my spare time lately. You could use a similar approach with the Pi and the PT100 amp boards and maybe just invert the PSU. I have a bunch of longish nylon threaded standoffs somewhere that would work a treat...

6. Dr Jeep

Yes exactly that :) I started thinking along the lines of standoffs then got to a sort of printed cradle that uses the holes around the hatch. It's on the list to play with when I have time.

The only thing stopping me is so far I haven't had to remove the base on mine (that pleasure won't come until I convert it to dual when the new bits are out, or if it breaks before then)

7. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Tinkering with a cad sketch of this at the moment, a bigger problem will be the psu mount, i will probably need to be integrated in some way with the spool holder brackets.

8. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

9. Dr Jeep

Excellent, I've bookmarked those for when I next need to lift the base (number of reasons is growing now)

10. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

20161001_090559.jpg Underside with bottom off..

mike01hu and Sarah Nicholson like this.
  11. Dr Jeep

Now that's much better.....Now access is so easy ,cut that tail on the cable tie on the back of your mains socket....my OCD hurts looking at that :D

mike01hu likes this.
  12. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Now I'll have to keep it forever.. haha

mike01hu likes this.