PT100 hotend temp value difference with heated bed value.

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by moshen, Jul 18, 2016.

1. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Are you guys seeing similar temps for both the hotend and the heated bed? On mine, my heated bed is consistently 3-4 degrees C higher than the hotend when at rest. I don't expect it to match perfectly but my other printers are closer. I'm wondering if this is an anomaly with me or others seeing it. Perhaps some tweaking some firmware constants can get them closer...

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

You mean if they are at room temperature?

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

4. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Yes room temperature. Right now my Hotend reads 18.7C, Bed 22.1C.

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmmm according to my picture it is not the case for me. But I can confirm that the temperature graphs seem more unstable to me at low temperatures compared to when the hotness and the bed are heated...

6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

There's little accuracy/resolution on a 3D printer's thermistor at low temperatures, due to the nonlinear response.

OP: nothing to worry about, print on!

7. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Makes no difference. I have used a Duet0.6 with expansion and its ground plane error intruding a rather unstable low temp behaviour and it had zero effects on printing.

8. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

elmoret, the PT100 probes I am used to dealing with are pretty much linear. I think I have either a problem with the amp or the lack of screened cable is killing me (any word from E3D yet as to why they changed from a screened cable ? ) Last night it was jumping about over 5 degrees (on the rumba and octoprint) and I took the time to see if disabling steppers etc had any effect. Does seem worse at lower temps but if it is interference based then that makes perfect sense as the noise will be a bigger percentage of the signal.

Work is mad at the moment so not had time to get test equipment hooked up, I might ask E3D if I can try another PT100 amp as that flat line in the cooldown looks dodgy.

At least I have proven it's not PID

In the graph below the first cooldown was after a print and then after I heated it up again and did a filament change.

[​IMG]