PTFE-lined heatbreak?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by cds333, Dec 4, 2019.

1. cds333

cds333 New Member

What is the point of these things? When would one want to use them?

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

they are cheap, and I wouldn't want to use one.

3. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Never. The whole point of an all-metal heatbreak is to achieve higher temperatures and have a more precise inner diameter. Putting a PTFE tube in there defeats the purpose altogether. It is just silly.

4. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Nah its not silly.

There is a case. If you only plan to use flex at a direct drive for example, then you can buy all hotend parts as the same diameter and have one single ptfe tubing down until you reach the hot zone. Flex is mostly < 240°C
    I very much like the e3d lite cooler for that.

Or you use the hemera. (-> but not at 3mm)

What does not make sense for me is using a small cut ptfe only within the heatbreak. The gain in better steering comes when you have one tubing without any breaks / grooves.

5. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

And if you machine the mid section of that heat break smaller and use proper thermal paste on the upper threads, you'll be way below any problematic temperatures even for flexibles. And you can machine the inner diameter of the heat break a lot closer to spec than the PTFE liner in these is. I'd somewhat understand it if that was something high class like Capricorn PTFE, but this cheap stuff, I am really really sceptical. Also, you can coat the heat break in a way that it doesn't stick. But in the end, try it out. I wouldn't bother, but that is just my personal opinion and I for sure don't know everything.

6. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The lite 6 was introduced for beginner users who will only be using filaments such as PLA and ABS, it has an integrated heatbreak making the hot tightening process easier for those who are a little less experience with hands on / practice tasks.

It’s very much an entry level product, not targeted towards those interested in experimenting with different filament types.

7. Lord Binky

Lord Binky Member