PTFE tube doesn't fit

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Rafal Rebisz, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rafal Rebisz

Rafal Rebisz Member

Hi I recently purchased a lite6 hot end from oozenest and the PTFE tube doesn't go through the heatsink it barely goes in half way does anyone else had the same problem or am I doing something wrong ? When I look through the hole I can see rings from machining and it seams like the tube is getting stuck on them is that normal ?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

As Oozenest are geographically close to E3D (maybe not) then assumed it is a genuine E3D part (I know there is no logic in that statement)

If you have some vernier callipers (cost about a tenner) measure the outside diameter of the ptfe which may NOT be round.

Often ptfe is off a tight roll and has a significant bend in it which may make it dig into the sides when inserted.

You can find the drawings on the E3D site so check what the ID of the V6 should be and if you have some small drill bits then see if one of the correct size fits. It's often handy to insert the bit tang first in this sort of test.

Having cut your ptfe with a very sharp craft knife so as not to squeeze it into an oval shape, file a slight chamfer on the end you insert into the V6, this may overcome any slight ridges. Small diamond covered files are handy for this, don't file off too much, just enough to take the sharp corner off the end.

As the hole is I assume drilled, it really should not have ridges, but unless you know what size it should be and you are also a good machinist then don't attempt drilling or enlarging the hole yourself, Email E3D support for help, or phone them.

3. Rafal Rebisz

Rafal Rebisz Member

Hi it is getting stuck in one place where the rings are, doesn't matter which way I try to push it in, I already contacted oozenest and they asked me to send some pictures they are one of the e3d vendors so the parts should be genuine

4. Old_Tafr

Any news, maybe post the same picture (as sent to Oozenest) of the rings made by the machining ?

5. Rafal Rebisz

Rafal Rebisz Member

Hi I've tried to post some pictures earlier but it comes up with error, anyway it turned out that it was a bad quality one and I got it replaced they didn't even asked for the old one, I also purchased the V6 and I happen to get poorly machined heat break it Extrudes well on continusc extrusion but it clogs when the filament gets retracted I did couple of cold pulls and I can see rings left on the plastic the plastic also gets stuck in few spots when I pull it, I will contact e3d about it tomorrow, I will try to upload some pictures from my pc

6. Rafal Rebisz

Rafal Rebisz Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] these are the pictures of the inside of the lite6 ad here are the pictures of the cold pulls I did from the v6 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] as you can see in both cases the machining is really bad, whats more interesting is that it looks like these rings are on the same height in lite6 and v6 heat break

7. Old_Tafr

Not too easy to see inside the Lite6 but the rings are obvious on the cold pull. Sounds like a bad batch and it would still be good to check the internal dia with a drill bit. I just can't see how if it is drilled out how they could make such a bad job of it. And very odd if the marks are in same place on different products.

8. Rafal Rebisz

Rafal Rebisz Member

I suspect that it was drilled with not enough cooling as it is the stainless steel, anyway e3d will send the replacement one, their customer service is great I did some more cold pulls and they all have this grove on them

9. Old_Tafr

This is the heat-sink that is stainless?

10. Rafal Rebisz

Rafal Rebisz Member

Lite6 is stainless, v6 is aluminium with stainless heat break

11. Old_Tafr

I would agree then with bad machining, if they didn't get it right first time a pain to correct.