Pulsing extrude.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Damage, Jul 26, 2015.

  1. Damage

    Damage Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2015
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have a Solidoodle 4 which I recently upgraded to add the E3D V6. I am getting what I can only describe as a "pulsing extrude" (see image below). In other words, the extrude varies in thickness which seems to be linked with the steps of the extruder motor. I've tried a bunch of settings with regard to extrude rate, multiplier, width, z-axis height, etc with no solution before deciding to come here and bug the community.

    I also tried to research this issue and I am coming up empty. I've looked at sites such as http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide and http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/30-getting-better-prints which don't seem to describe my problem.

    Does anyone have any ideas and/or potential solutions? Here is the image of the problem. The waviness multiplya as it builda upon itself. I.E. the skirt is less severe than the 1st layer of the main print. note: this first layer does have inconsistent height because I was adjusting the plate while printing trying to see if I could influence this issue.

    [​IMG]

    *EDIT*
    Here is a magnified image of a raw extrude (not onto the build surface), note the subtle "pulses" which I believe to be contributing to the issues I outlined above (I am open to me being completely wrong about that BTW)...

    [​IMG]
     
  2. elmoret

    elmoret Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2014
    Messages:
    586
    Likes Received:
    91
  3. Damage

    Damage Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2015
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you very much for the prompt and complete reply. I ordered the parts to persue remedies C, B and A in that order, hopefully I can resolve it without going to a geared stepper. I will post my results here once I have a chance to implement the remedies.

    Thanks Again.
     
  4. Damage

    Damage Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2015
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    As a followup, I replaced the extruder stepper which was a 1.8deg to a 0.9deg per step motor. That single change made all the difference.

    Here is a raw extrude (sorry, I changed colors to black)...
    [​IMG]

    Here is the first layer going down...
    [​IMG]

    and here is a before and after of a calibration cube...
    [​IMG]

    There are some other issues relating to the prints I am getting now, but overall things are much improved and I can at least now produce workable prints.

    Thanks again for your help.
     

Share This Page