Pushing the envelope

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Bluemalu, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Having had the BigBox Dual for nearly a year now it's time to see what it can do.

I have replaced the Z axis with Misumi rods and bearings, replaced the bed with an MIC6 aluminium bed with a PEI coating, replaced the standard coupler for Z axis with plum couplers and lastly added heat sinks to Z and E drivers. I've upped the current on Z and E0/E1 to 0.75V and increased the speed in firmware to 150, 150, 25, 100 (X, Y, Z, E respectively). Increased the parameters in Simplify3D.

So, my question is, having read through the forum I've seen the theory (and also evidence in practice) that turning the current down helps the Z axis maintain it's position repeatedly. As an electronics engineer I can't see why this should be (or what I actually want is how to set the Z axis up with an understanding of how and why). I've not got any noticeable issues on the Z axis I'm aware of, just more of an intellectual exercise into better understanding rather than just following the Wiki.

2. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

A year ?

3. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Was it only February, wow.