Put something soft down...

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Paul Meyer, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer Well-Known Member

Just a heads up:

When calibrating a new tool, place something soft (pillow? towel?) under it.

Dialing in the tool pickup/drop-off on T0, my newly built Hemera direct drive (v6 tool conversion). Loaded and unloaded just fine the first few times, thought I had it dialed in. Went to unload T0 to turn off the machine and adjust something and **bam**, as it backed off the tool didn't stick. Dropped straight down 12 inches or so and landed (of course) right on the nozzle. Bent the heat break, the only fragile piece of the Hemera I don't have multiple of.

Anybody know if a standard v6 heatbreak is the same? I've got several of those, but I thought the Hemera one looked different.

Ah, well, so much for dual material testing this weekend (unless I can carefully bend it back...)

Paul

Nibbels likes this.
  2. Paul Meyer

Just a followup:
    - I replaced the nozzle (I definitely don't trust a brass nozzle the tip of which left a permanent dent in my aluminum base plate)
    - I used a pair of channel-lock pipe pliers to *gently* pull the whole heater block back in line.

It hadn't bent much, and seemed to straighten ok. I can see straight through the block. Filament seems to extrude.

I'll replace the heat break when I can, but for now it seems like the worst impact might be a slight increase in friction, which hopefully the direct drive hemera can overcome.

3. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Same here today.
    I am tuning in TitanAero.

I destroyed a Microswiss coated nozzle today.

First crash: The adapter I made was a bit wrong in angle. So I had troubles finding the right X-Coordinate. Then my tool dropped.
    Second crash: I somehow got confused coordinates at the coupler coordinate. Then the wrong angle of the coupler pulled the tool out when releasing, the tool dropped.

4. Paul Meyer

I'm starting to get warmed up and sort of ok at this. It takes some time to dial in the right dock position and TC moves to pick up/drop-off.

A few gotchas:

The coordinate system shifting once the tool is picked up. Makes total sense, but when trying to figure out the coordinates for docking, etc, the fact that the on-screen coordinates after tool pickup are 'wrong' is confusing.

Unexpected moves: the bed moving up a bit on the first move command after the tool change, weird patterns (not sure from where) when switching from one tool to another. Need to figure out which sys/*.g file is driving what.

I've now got two heads dialed in (doing final z calibration now), then on to multi-material calibration.

BTW, the foam that came in the original box, folded in half and trimmed a bit, makes a nice addition to the bottom of the frame. I've got my duet box on top, just for some extra 'deceleration' space if I get another drop.

IMG_0415.jpg

5. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Screenshot_3.png
    I have to see if I can put that nozzle back into a nice state. But I would have to make the top flat and drill a new hole. Rightnow it looks like a diagonal 0.15 nozzle.

Screenshot_4.jpg

This will be only a temporary solution on my side. If I would drop a hot tool onto it my wife will kill me. And it might burn.