Q&A Tonight on Hangouts - 09/02/2016

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Greg Holloway, Feb 9, 2016.

1. SoBaldrick

SoBaldrick Well-Known Member

reviewing the video this morning, couold see that the putty knife you mention is actually a wallpaper scraper :cool:

2. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

did they talk about a new delivery schedule ?

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

From what I heard, all kits are ready, waiting for the rods to come back from reworking; these should be back very soon as they are with a UK based company. When the rods arrive it only remains to put each set of component boxes and the rods into the packing cases and ship. I assume that the pre-assembled BB's will have to have the rods fitted and aligned. Shipping may start next week and it is hoped that off-the-shelf purchase will be in operation early April, depending on materials acquisition.

If I've got anything badly wrong the usual ton of bricks will fall on my head!

Mike

4. theTroll527

theTroll527 Well-Known Member

What is the official word of the shipments of pre-order items?

5. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Looks like 4 weeks for pre-order stuff.

6. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

update on page as well

7. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Has it been proved and confirmed that the slimming of the rods actually will solve all the problems in the z-drive? Will these rods be special items available onyl through E3D, or was the previous batch maybe a bit too unslim? The function of a linear bearing depends also on the make and specifications and quality of the linear bearings.

Do I have to view the whole video session to get answers to all the questions asked here, or will they be answered here in writing too? I'd prefer the latter.

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Best to watch the video @UlrichKliegis . In the middle and at the end they show exactly the changes they've made to resolve the Z axis problem by holding the parts up in front of the camera. There's a new piece of plastic added where the brass nuts are that makes the whole bed much more rigid. Everything is now more adjustable to make it easier to get "perfect" alignment. Slimming the rods is just one of the actions they are taking.

One of the things that we learnt is that RichRap in fact has the "old" rods on his machine i.e. much "looser" ones.

The big question - that I think will be answered today - is whether the proposed amount of slimming is ENOUGH or whether even more is required. They are getting some rods back to test today before all of them are machined.

9. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Ulli, the rods were ground to a standard fit, I can't remember the code, but this proved to be too tight for the bearings specified, so they have chosen another standard fit to give a better degree of freedom. They emphasize that this is normal and I agree. The section of the video on the Z-axis is quite short, so you could skip through to that part. The KickStarter update is not so specific.

Mike

10. UlrichKliegis

Thanks for the information. More than I could read from the previous contributions.

11. UlrichKliegis

Mike, thanks. The X in the HX specifications are what the dosage is for a doctor....

Cheers,
    Ulli

mike01hu likes this.
  12. UlrichKliegis

After spending more than an hour watching the video and trying to understand what they said (the good news is: They don't sell sound systems ;) ), I must correct you: The best was to ask here and get short yet concise and concentrated-on-the-essentials answers. Thanks again!

From what I saw and heard, the success of the grinding action is expected but not yet proven, even the test samples (when did they go out? Last week? Yesterday? Anyway, they are out!) had not been returned.

I would have expected that hey subject several boxes equipped with the test rods for several days to a torture test being harder than the expected normal conditions (put weights on the table, change temperatures, blow some dust on the mechanics - just torture). Just a short sample test is, looking at the scale of the potential consequences, insufficient. In my eyes, at least.

The enforcements of the table that I saw don't guarantee that it will not bend again under a larger load. Just the pattern will be different. Nothing about asymmetric loads. At least, I bought what I will get - the experimental version. Everything else would be boring.

Cheers,

Ulli

mike01hu likes this.
  13. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

You're right Ulli, by Swiss standards this has not been tested to death, but then again if it had we wouldn't be having any of these discussions - nor enjoying Eureka moments! Rather it would be like watching an quartz clock just in case maybe it lost a beat.

I'm confident that we'll rapidly be able to assemble something that prints very well.

And after that there's lots of room for experimentation.

Did you hear the bit about Dual users soon being able to print a few parts to significantly improve their build area?

Mercedes would put us through a few years of cosmetic changes before launching that in the next model upgrade!

ps I have the impression that most of the energy of the 3D print community comes not from what you can create with it but from how you can improve its imperfect technology, in operation and in design.

mike01hu likes this.
  14. UlrichKliegis

Not quite like watching oil paint drying, but close to it... ;)

Sure. Although they were a bit close-lipped about it, interesting non-verbal interaction between the two heroes. I guess it will be something like the Dondolo, you could use the dual head hardware for that, add a servo, and start scratching your head.

That's why I continue to drive my trusty, not rusty >453.000km old Volvo 745 :)

I'd rather say 'change' instead of 'improve', but alas, yes.

mike01hu likes this.