Question about psssible modifyication of the Hemera stepper

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by W1EBR.Gene, Feb 21, 2020.

1. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway , is the Hemera stepper motor a basic Nema17 stepper motor with custom endplates and a custom drive gear? If yes, then using a shorter Nema17 stepper motor (body and rotor) and replacing its' endplates with those from a Hemera stepper might be a way to make a lighter version of a Hemera.

Also, is the drive gear press fit onto the drive shaft or held in place with a grub screw? Cutting the drive shaft on a standard Nema17 motor shouldn't be too difficult.

Would this work? Just curious :)

Gene

#1 W1EBR.Gene, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

I'm not a part of the Hemera dev team so I can't really comment on the technicallities with any authority. it is a nema 17 based system, I wouldn't describe it as basic though. you can use any size motor you like, just remember with a smaller motor you get less power. There are no grubscrews.

3. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a way to lighten the extruder for use in the toolchanger. I took apart a stepper and was surprised at how modular and straightforward they are to repair.

4. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

I had the same idea.

But for practical use I switched both of the TitanAeros from slimline back to the default motor.
    The reason was that some filaments are not quite happy with less force. And I wanted to have a more efficient force generation in terms of heat production. (You wont have this heat problem so much as I because the hemera is one piece and the cooler sits in front of it.)

The difference you might gain is 70g. That is around 14% of the tool and less % if you calculate the coupler into that calculation. After a PETG print failure I figured that for me the 70g are not worth the risk of figuring out why the print broke.
    Maybe I come back to the pancake after oiling my hotends of if I start printing flex.