Question regarding filament

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Ray, May 10, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

@Sanjay A few questions if I may:
    1. With so many filaments (yours and 3rd party filaments) wouldn't it be a good idea to have a Filament section in the forums?
    2. Will you be stocking ColorFabbs HT Filament?
    3. Do you currently stock a high temperature filament that can be used for the high temperature parts used in the Big Box? (or more preferably, what filament would you recommend that is easy to print)

#1 Ray, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    JesperJuul, mike01hu and Miasmictruth like this.
  2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

@Sanjay @Josh As well as the above questions I also have a few more regarding EDGE:
    1. Is the blue in the store (http://e3d-online.com/All-Filament/Spoolworks-Oxford-Blue22-175mm-750g?filter=5,105) the same as the one you had previously posted pictures of? the previous pictures look darker? (see images below from your recent tweet, assuming that is showing EDGE and the one from your store to compare)
    2. Will white be an option for EDGE being that you have different shades of Grey?
      UPDATE: As pointed out below, White is an option, however if you use the Refine option to filter by 1.75mm and spoolWorks then White doesn't appear.
    3. What is the Tg of EDGE? (As requested by @Sarah Nicholson below)
    E3D_Tweet_Blue.jpg

sw-OxfordBlue22-Edge-web-1000x1000.png
    PS Please let me know if we are not allowed to post images that you have tweeted or from the E3D site.

#2 Ray, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Ray likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Ah nice one, thank you very much, I will look again without the refine option (that also isn't available via mobile devices, so makes finding filament a nightmare).

5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Heh, I feel you. A lot of my day job involves optimising search for intranets, so good search refiners are something of a hobby horse of mine. :)

6. JesperJuul

JesperJuul Well-Known Member

About the tg of edge i dont think we are in the high end since it is the same base polymer and has almost the same print characteristics as XT (which is 75C) besides that they used another material for the heat exposed parts on the BigBox and that have to be for a reason since it is way easier to only print with one material. – it is probably between 75 and 85C (violent speculation alert!!)

There is no reason for not releasing the material other than they probably didn't do the proper testing yet.

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

1.) Added! Let me know if you'd like this thread moved there, as you are the author.
    2.) I haven't heard about E3D's plans on this.
    3.) Which parts specifically are you curious about?

1.) I've asked Clare for clarification.
    3.) I would guess around 75C, but I've pinged Sanjay on this.

JesperJuul likes this.
  8. JesperJuul

@elmoret Do you know anything about how edge lays sticks to pei beds?

9. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

PETG in general sticks well to PEI beds, but I have no personal experience with Edge on a PEI bed.

JesperJuul likes this.
  10. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Yes please, if you could me this to the new forum.

My understanding is that most parts that E3D printed were in EDGE and then another (not yet released) filament with hight temperature properties was used for possibly the cooling duct/fan and areas near the nozzle. So I see people saying use a HT (high temp) filament and I see that Colorfabb do a Colorfabb HT, but my question is out of the filaments that E3D stock, which would be classed as a HT filament suitable for these parts that are close to the heat? It seems that on the filament sale pages there isn't detail such as glassing temperatures etc. or a category for HT filament.

11. JesperJuul

ABS works fine for those parts, if you wanna be fancy about it you can use the sample of protopasta PC-ABS that came with you printer. It is more heatstable that Colorfabb HT.

JohnEsc likes this.
  12. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Thread moved.

1.)
    Yes, I believe some of those parts were printed in "Material X". However I would expect them to perform fine with any material really, especially anything wit a Tg of 75C or higher. Remember Tg isn't the melting temperature, as long as the part isn't under load it won't deform even a little above Tg.

13. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Edge's Tg is "more than 75C", I'll let you know when I hear back with a firm number and any other details.

JohnEsc and Sarah Nicholson like this.
  14. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

@elmoret you are taking all of my money, but I am glad you have the glass beds in stock as I just now found a little chunk taken out of mine, guess that one will be for my PEI sheet.

15. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

@elmoret

Did you find out the Tg for edge?

16. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I was just on the phone to E3D and so asked the question, I was told it is roughly 80C.

tohara likes this.
  17. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

18. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Well it would be really handy if someone (@Sanjay possibly) would add some detail here, as I mentioned above, whilst on the phone to E3D today I asked what the Tg temperature for Edge was and was told it was about 80C, so an officially written down number would really help here, it would be useful to put such figures on the website itself.

Or is that spreadsheet the official specification for Edge? If so how come I was told 80C on the phone today?.

#18 Ray, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  19. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Spreadsheet was from Sanjay, who'd you talk to on the phone?

If you said "glass temperature", they might have thought bed temperature and told you 80C.

20. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

It was one of the online sales staff, I originally said glassing temperature but then said Tg, he had to go away and ask someone else.

I have just called them back again to clarify as it does indeed sound as though they thought I mean glass/bed temperature, what I have now been told is 75C for the Tg temperature.