IDEAS Quick Release bed retention

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by W1EBR.Gene, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Well I think it is quantity thing... the last 2 item I shopped in USA was about 50$ shipping too.
    Maybe you can organize a group order.

2. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Good idea! I decided to try a sheet of Ultem/PEI first because I could get it plus the double sided adhesive tape for about $22 (which includes shipping, via Amazon).

If that doesn't work well, a group order will be my next step :). Thanks, Stefan!

3. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Just a quick question. Do we really need quick release parts? I've only had the glass off the bed once to get a stuck part off.

Is it only me???

4. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how you prep the bed. If you spray on hairspray, it probably is better done outside the box. I don't like the idea of using solvents on the bed, while it is installed, that could affect the acrylic or the printed parts. My 2 cents :)

Gene

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

As a user of UHU, Hairspray, and Kapton Tape, I do change the bed (uhu/spray <> kapton), and I do clean the bed (for a fresh layer of UHU). I don't find the bed particularly hard to remove, so I'm not overly fussed about quick release, however, I am not excited about wearing down the cork. Currently i've added some tape to the cork where the clips are to give it a little more resilience.

6. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

The release part is not complicated... the installing part is :D (for me) especially the clamps on the back.
    My cork has some hole too, maybe not the best material for the original clamps. The sharp edges I dremeled away :)

@W1EBR.Gene I have tried a MTPlus (german!!!!) plate too. No idea what material it is... but it is a 0.95 mm PCB like board.
    ABS sticks like hell, actually I have still some ABS on it from my last try and I have to use Aceton to dissolve it.
    But not so much luck with PLA but that's properly my fault since I have not then right double sided tape to mount it on the glass plate.
    Which results in a not flat palte (for me)

I bought the Alu PEI plate because its flat and I temp diff see post 17.

Currently I'm happy :) with it... this might change.

PEI sheets in Germany are hard to find or expensive.