Quick release connector for TC

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by blarbles, Jan 21, 2020.

1. blarbles

blarbles Well-Known Member

I need to make the other side of the cable, but the tool head is ready to go. Working on the connector I ended up with just reinforced I made the right choice over the Micro Fit. The pins are easy to release and rearrange with no special tool or re-crimping. The whole connector feels really solid and secure. The pins are much more sturdy.

I updated the design of the Almost Direct Drive. The whole thing is significantly more stiff and reinforced. There is no flex anymore with the Titan so no need for the hack I did from the ADD thread.

I will run this for a while and see what happens and if all goes well I will post up STLs if anyone is interested.

2020-02-07 17.39.21.jpg 2020-02-07 17.39.15.jpg 2020-02-07 17.39.37.jpg 2020-02-07 17.39.52.jpg

Olle Wreede and Paul Arden like this.
  2. blarbles

It lives!

I need to redo the top cable bundle for a variety of reasons (better cable management, wires may rub against metal strip, etc), but I wanted to start my first print with quick release.

2020-02-08 10.01.45.jpg 2020-02-08 10.18.39.jpg

Spoon Unit likes this.
  3. blarbles

4. blarbles

Finished cable reconfiguration. I added a stabilizer model for the cables to the Thingiverse page.

2020-02-09 15.16.50.jpg

5. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

Nice. I bought some of those connectors too and they are quite satisfying to use and feel very robust. I am not sure how standardized they are but it looks like several manufacturers make them.

For some reason I was picturing the plug/socket being mounted on the toolchanger itself rather than the toolhead, to keep weight on the toolhead to a minimum and to allow only the wires needed for the particular head to be routed.

6. rlenny

rlenny New Member

I love your idea, but I want to take it a step further. I'm admittedly a hobbyist when it comes to electrical work but I'm getting there. Anyway Id like to create a hot-swappable connector, between the tool and the toolhead.
    With the security/feedback from the torque lock and the repeatability from the kinematic mount, I believe it would make for a safe and reliable blind-mate
    Definitely an idea that's been in my head since I started building my jubilee, but haven't attempted it yet.

7. blarbles

John: I agree that these connectors are quite robust. I kind of doubt they are as waterproof as they claim which makes them mediocre for trailer hitches, but for this setup they are great. If you make a different design I would love to see it and, if you are willing, share the files.

relenny: I am excited to see what you come up with. I love that the motion system encourages people to try new ideas.

8. John Pickens

John Pickens Member

I like the idea of the Molex Microfit connectors. Agilent uses them all over their laboratory test equipment, and they seem to work very well, including lines supporting pretty good amperage heaters. However, my thoughts on using quick connects was more for placing them at the printer end, not the tool end. That way, you'd be able to disconnect the tool at the printer, and remove the whole thing, including the flex cables, to change tools and/or work on it at your workbench.

9. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

But if you have a multi tool print you are disconnecting a tool that is supposed to stay hot and this will introduce slow prints as you have to reheat the tool with every change not to mention the probability of clogs as the heat sink fan will be off too. or am I getting your idea incorrectly

10. blarbles

I know this is lazy, but I really dislike changing nozzles. Using this setup I now have a 0.4 and a 0.8 Tool Head and all I have to do is unplug the tools and swap. E3D should try and get everyone to do this then they can sell even more parts!

I have the various tools setup in the config.g so I just comment/uncomment whatever I need.

2020-05-07 15.18.55.jpg

yngndrw likes this.