Radio-opaque bones

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Henry feldman, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So I had been trying to make a radio-opaque filament to print bones in for being inside our simulation models, using different calcium compounds, and while it was OK, it wasn't very good (either for the x-ray or as filament), so suddenly had the idea to use colorfabb bronzefill. Other than needing to fix the infill so it doesn't look goofy, it works remarkably well.

This will go into our "arm" radial artery cath simulator (well a non-broken one - my wife dropped it getting out of the car on her way in to x-ray it, and so the carpals snapped off and the long bones snapped apart)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jonas and mike01hu like this.
  2. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Really, loving your work Henry. Fascinating stuff.

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Another interesting application! I would think any of the metal filled filaments would be opaque to e.m. radiation. I'm impressed with the directions you are taking the technology.

4. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Can't you put a cast on it? :D

5. Henry feldman

Actually that's another planned sim (all joking aside) but that's not a "good break" since bones aren't layer based. There have been some thoughts of printing bones like this with a reconstructed fracture inside a silicone arm, so that orthopedics residents can practice closed fracture reduction, but so far my experience with bronzefill is that it is fairly fragile so it might not survive the rubbing/crunching like a real bone will...

6. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

If you sprayed the bones in total ground carbon paint would that make them opaque?

7. Henry feldman

You need big heavy elements like metals to be opaque at x-ray frequencies, so hence bronze (I've been trying a hydroxyappatitie [calcium] mixture with PLA)

8. Henry feldman

Raised the temperature to 210 and got better layer adhesion (now only somewhat fragile :rolleyes:) and took the bones into radiology with my colleague and put them under the fluoroscope... Look pretty good, but the stupid fluoroscope was trying to be "helpful" but auto-contrasting (unlike the regular x-ray machine we first used) so the bones kept flipping to straight black. We think once the rest of the arm is there it will try and give us maximum window levels (gray-scale) so we will see once the silicone is poured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R Design, mike01hu and Spoon Unit like this.
  9. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

A handsome fella in the middle pic! :D

10. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I think Henry we have to award you with the status of most interesting application of a BigBox thus far, thanks for your posts.

I have a bit of a background in health (though on the side of infection control and instrument disinfection) we often developed new products with a bit of help from 3D printers (though the organisation I worked for thought it would be better to give us 2 week + lead-times using third party printing than develop any internal (and more agile) capability for our relatively simple needs)

Colin likes this.
  11. Henry feldman

We do some send out work (anything that actually is going into a patient), but for research, since half my learning is from failures, that would all be lost from outside work.