Ramdom Vase

Discussion in 'Show off' started by SoBaldrick, Apr 12, 2016.

1. SoBaldrick

SoBaldrick Well-Known Member

Printed a Vase in Clear Crystal PLA, came out very good, watertight as well, 0.4mm Nozzle 25% infill. 5h 13 mins

DSC00442.JPG

Stefan likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

mine had some hole, but I printed in spiral mode.

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I think Spiral mode tends to create a hole in the bottom layer. I tried sealing by spraying in some sealant but no success yet. If you print with non-spiral mode, it should be much easier to get water-tightness providing your bottom layers are properly (not under at least) extruded.

4. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

In S3D couldn't you also use two processes. The first to make a solid bottom and then another to use the spiral vase mode?

Just a thought.

5. Spoon Unit

It's a good thought. In fact, S3D already obeys both top and bottom layer rules. So it prints the 3 bottom layers (if that's the number you have) and than begins the spiral mode, which begins to slow escalate straight away, and that's the issue, when it completes circuit number 1, it's laying a 1 layer thick filament onto thin air just before it meets up with the first layer to begin the second layer of the spiral. Really, it should complete a half circuit or something before it begins to rise. I wonder if it already does that ... Beware of spiral mode though, it also still obeys the number of top layers unless you tell it to lay down zero of them.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope, if you want to go spiral mode S3D only allows one process...

7. Spoon Unit

I can't really think why they'd do that to you. Big brother knows best?

8. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

What thickness are you printing your lines? By upping mine to .8 I didn't have much issue with water tight vessels on my other printer or swapping to a larger nozzel. I also print at least 4 solid layers ifni want it water tight.

9. SoBaldrick

SoBaldrick Well-Known Member

I did not change any settings for lines etc in S3D, just the nozzle size and infill.

10. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Try printing a small vase and increase you line width to double you nozzel size, use at least 4 bottom layers.. That's what I do and I have no issues with my vases being water tight. So with my .4 nozzel I run .8 width, maybe over extrude a little on purpose too.

Spoon Unit likes this.