Raspberry Pi Rant

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by hammy, Oct 2, 2016.

1. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

So to give the final product of this, my raspberry pi is broken and I am awaiting a new one from amazon. The reason it is broken is because in my opinion of bad design of the BB. The only way to edit the config is the sd slot and for what ever reason instead of giving us a nice big opening from which to insert and remove the mini sd card. The designers decided that form over function was more important because the slot is literally the size of the sd card. Which led to me getting it stuck under the pi instead of in its slot.

The reason I was taking it out is because for whatever reason the designers thought everyone would want to use only a wired connection and neglected to put a setup of wifi in there wiki pages. Why would you think people wouldn't want to use the wifi connection of the pi? This is one of the key features that gives a printer a one up over others so how is this not the first way to connect to the printer instead of the second?

#1 hammy, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

please watch your language :mad:

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes please watch your language...

You seem not to know about the environment the BB was developed.
    When the initial design was established there was no RPi 3 with Wifi only RPi 2 with Erhernet. Also the RPi 2 had a spring mechanisms built in the SD card slot so you were able to get the card out by just pushing it.
    So the design you have was developed using the available hardware at that time and it worked for that hardware.

Alex Stevenson likes this.
  4. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

The stock Pi 2 doesn't have wi-fi built in, so if you have that (as was included in the Octopi upgrade) then a dongle is also required. If I need to change anything, then is access it via SSH to make configuration changes.

5. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

First thing i did was to drill a hole (very carefully) in the middle of the slot... Now I can get tweezers in and pull the card out.

I hope the new BB has been updated to include this necessary change... But I knew this and the previous mentioned reason so I did not destroy my raspberry.

6. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Sounds like it would be easier to just use a pen drive since the Pi3 supports USB boot.

7. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

[Or just stick some tape to the SD card to make a tab to allow it to be easily pulled out. Nice low tech solution :)

8. Alex Stevenson

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Have to remember that one for myself :)

9. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

Then they need to update the wiki it takes 10 seconds to put in a wifi solution and another 10 seconds to state that if you have the 3 then you may want to drill a hole. Kind of like the fact of why did they try to put all the builds into one weird crazy page instead of having multiple pages for each model. Some instructions get duplicated but that doesn't mean on the backend they are duplicated just the frontend.

10. Alex Stevenson

Anyone can register to update the wiki.

11. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

You write the guide you'd like to see on how to configure wifi on the pi3 and I'll add it to the wiki.

Edward Patel likes this.
  12. Jean VISCONTE

Jean VISCONTE Member

You can also drill a 6mm hole in the middle of SD slot in the acrylic to make sure to extract micro SD with a plier.
    The only thing not to forget anyway is to remove SD before dismantling BB's bottom, otherwise you'll have to buy another RPI2 or RPI3!

13. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

That's how I get my main SD card out. Much easier!