Rasperry Pi hindsight

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Stian Indal Haugseth, May 25, 2016.

1. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

C...! I switched RPI v2 for a v3 and just flashed the latest OctoPi supporting RPI 3. No new IP adresses on my network. To begin with I said to my self to test the RPI before I mount it in the BB. I also said to my self I should mount a HDMI and USB breakout panel mount connectors so I could connect a monitor and keyboard.

Of course I did no such thing!

Give it another try tomorrow and reflash and triple check the network config before springing it open.

2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

You can edit the wifi config from the card if you plug it into your desktop and find the octopi-network.txt on the root of the drive. After this option, the best thing to do is set up on a different pi 3 and move over, next best is can you connect an ethernet cable temporarily? If yes you can SSH into the pi and set configuration there or install a vnc client like tightvnc or x11vnc. Also I have heard that onboard wifi may not work right out of the gate, you may need to do a sudo apt-get update. What is your technical ability? Let us know how you fix it but you shouldn't have to open the printer back up.

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

I both entered wifi ssid and passphrase inn addition to setting static IP for wired. Static IP not accessible and nothing new found after a ping sweep.

I'm very much home in Linux (since 2002) as a computer nerd. I'd choose console over GUI any day ;)

I haven't given up yet. This RPI is my first. I have no other RPI 3 but the latest octopi should work with RPI 2?

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ish, when I put the .12 release on my pi 3 which was supposed to work it didn't, I realized the issue was the distro and grabbed a nightly build based on Jessie. I will send the link I used and at least you will know the software is good. I will also dl the latest stable build and load onto an extra pi 3 to confirm that is working, I have a few around. You said this pi is your first, how did you load the distro onto the SD?

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

.13 put onto a blank sd using win32diskimager booted up great but didn't connect to wifi with my pi3, I added my network info into the octopi-network.txt before loading the card in the pi. I tried checking that location as well as the rest of the locations where the info should have been, most sections were blank when they should have had generic commented out information. The onboard wifi is working, running sudo iwlist wlan0 scan does show my networks. Running sudo raspi-config and selecting boot to desktop requires installing sudo apt-get install lightdm so unless you can connect an ethernet cable you can't do that. I think the issue is it isn't using the credentials we entered in the file before you put the card in, once I add from the desktop I feel this will probably work but that doesn't help your situation unless you have a second, freely accessible pi3.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

7. SoBaldrick

SoBaldrick Well-Known Member

just downloaded the new octopi file, so will try with my Pi 3, also noticed that you can drive a TFT display as well for Octopi, and i'm waiting for a Kickstarter backed display holder (SmartiPi Touch), so could be a great combination.

8. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Is octopi stable enough on the RPI3 ?

I am thinking about getting one, but I plan to keep it externally

9. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I'm running Octopi on RPi3. Rock solid as far as I can tell. The only slight issue I have is with automounting of network drives. It seems to happen slightly slowly and sometime Octopi boots before the mapping is complete, meaning that OctoPi fails to load. I just putty to it and restart OctoPi and it comes up every time.

One other downside of RPi3, positioned as mine is in side the case; the SD card no longer ejects meaning I'll need some pliers to get it out of that tiny hole they cut for us on the box.

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had something similar. Couldn't get the auto mounts of my network shares to work. Followed several guides. Only thing that helped was assigning a fixed IP. Seems on the RPi2 the network init is much too slow so the mount runs too early...

11. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

That's why ultimately I went with a usb flash drive instead as a separate volume. Network mounting on SBC linux boxes isn't tight (when I mount my SAN onto my monster HP servers running RHEL it's tight, but given the costs of all that not surprising) as it should be. Likely some sort of boot sequence issue for which protocol is needed at mount time. What protocol are you using to mount your NAS/SAN? NFS, SAMBA, etc?

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

NFS

13. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I think it was Alex who suggested supergluing a thin strip of plastic to the card, about 3mm overlap, so that it sticks out from the side of the box and lets you pull it out. I did it and it works fine.

14. Henry feldman

15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I suggested for the SD for printing not for the Pi. Need a much smaller strip there... But can work. And I just copied from RichRap...

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ya and I think I tried it all but none worked for me, so I have no problem with the fixed IP still have the assignment in the DHCP for disaster recovery so the device gets the same either way...

17. Stian Indal Haugseth

Thanks for your help @Colin

I used dd on a mac after I unmounted the partitions. Using jessie 0.13. Anyways the error was I forgot to uncomment one line on the wifi setup and probably could not parse the network config.

It's always the stupid mistakes that get me o_O

Both wifi and wired is accessible at the same time now with static IP addresses.

Colin likes this.
  18. Henry feldman

Wow, since the second method should keep trying until it succeeds unless you explicitly unmount the volume. You could of course put a sudo mount -a in the startup script of Octoprint which would assure that it is mounted before octoprint is operational

19. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Yeh, I nicked that idea from RichRap too, but didn't need it with the RPi2 as there was an eject mechanism. I didn't realise the RPi3 didn't until after I'd pushed it in and then not felt the click. Still, good that you remind me so that when I do tweezer it out, I'll add that on. I didn't go with superglue though, I just used some Sellotape.

20. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

The .txt file on the FAT partition won't help you with the static IP.
    You need to add it to /etc/dhcpcd.conf.
    Also, sometimes, adding the ssid and psk to the .txt won't work either sometimes.

Connect your raspi3 to using copper, find it in your router's dhcp pool, or just ssh to octopi.local if you have bonjour. It might take a while for SSHD to run, at least it did for mine on first 2 boots. Ping it first, use nmap to see if SSHD is up yet.

Once SSH'd, don't edit /etc/networks/interfaces, edit the wpa_supplicant.conf. See here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md

Once that is done, edit /etc/dhcpcpd.conf. See here:

http://sizious.com/2015/08/28/setting-a-static-ip-on-raspberry-pi-on-raspbian-20150505/

Finally, follow this to disable wifi power management - look at user mattgemmell's post:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44044&p=920137

The wifi power management was broken on RP3 and it would kill the wifi randomly (and never wake it up until you reboot or plug in the lan cable), not sure if it's been fixed since, but disabling it is a safe bet.