Redundant Holes in back Panel of BB

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Old_Tafr, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

There are two round ( 1" or so) and two oval holes (similar ish) in the back panel each with fixing holes around them... what are these for?

2. Westsidee

Westsidee Well-Known Member

For the future updates like bowden style extruders.

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

See this post to get an answer to your questions :)

Old_Tafr likes this.
  4. Old_Tafr

You mean I've got to build another printer? I have only just finished this one !! )-:

5. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

You don't need to do anything! They are just future proofing the printer, they mentioned it was a platform that would improve over time and mods would be released. For example they have a 4 feed extruder, those mount points could be used for that. But if your not interested in that then it's no bother :)

6. Old_Tafr

I was joking ! And I appreciate the future proofing as I don't like the mass of motors on the X-Carriage. But... I will have to print something to cover the holes for now as it makes a neat design look untidy and unfinished.

7. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Old_Tafr No worries :) Mine is out of sight in a cupboard(thanks octoprint!) so not too worried about how neat it looks, if I still had it on a desk I would probably do the same thing, and install those side panels.

8. Old_Tafr

Mine is still on the desk where I built it, taking up slightly too much space but it is a little cumbersome to locate elsewhere. My main effort is sorting out that I have entered the right calibration numbers from the end of the build process and understanding what I have to do with simplify3D and what with Octoprint.

9. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Old_Tafr well only one way to check and that's get printing!
    Simplify3d is easy, download the fff file, import and then get slicing. OctoPrint is more work but makes life much easier once it's setup. And of course any questions judt post on the forums seems there are plenty of people to help get people setup and working away

10. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Does Simplfy3D has a OctoPrint connection? I did not see it if it is in there.
    I mean like Slic3r 1.2.9.... Right now I use Slic3r because I have a little more xp with it and this "Send to Printer" button is a really cool feature

11. Old_Tafr

As far as I can see there is no way to connect electronically (except ..see below) or physically between PC running S3D and the BB or OctoPrint. There are several posts on this and possible mods.

The only immediately obvious way is create the gcode file with S3D, run Octoprint and then upload this file.

To have a physical connection from the PC you would need access to the Pi inside the base plus a way to switch USB connections which is discussed elsewhere in this forum.

12. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Ok sorry may be I was a little unclear. I did not mean phy (USB) connection. see Slic3r 1.2.9 release note, it connects to the OctoPrint by network uploading the g-code file.
    Integration with OctoPrint
    [​IMG]

13. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Thats the way I print with OctoPrint, use simplfy3d, generate gcode, upload gcode to OctoPrint gui and hit print.

14. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

So Simplfy3D has an OctoPrint setting or did you copy it manually to the PI? Like save gcode to file and drag and drop it to OctoPI website or some Samba share on OctoPi?

15. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Save gcode locally to my computer and drag and drop over. No direct option that I am aware of, I am only doing one or two prints a day so it's not too onerous

16. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

You can, but you need to be somewhat network savvy. You can used a watched directory (so mount a share from the Pi on your Mac/PC and save to that, and in the octoprint config you can set it up to watch that directory and pick up the file. I plan on writing a plug in via the REST API once I come up for air (hahahaha) but that may be a ways off.

Pierce likes this.