Removing a broken throat from the heat sink.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Magikmerlin, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Magikmerlin

Magikmerlin Member

while trying to remove the heater block from the V6 heat sink I broke the throat. I’m gonna replace the heater block but my problem is that there isn’t enough of the throat left to get some pliers on it to remove it. Can I use an easy out or something similar to remove it or should I just toss it and replace the heat sink and throat?

TIA

Jim

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Throat = Heat Break ? screw threaded part or part of the heater?

If you use plyers on the heater you will almost certainly break it.

If the heater block is kaput anyway then carefully cut the block and before cutting through and damaging the heater block just bend the block apart enough to release the heater. You could also pry the block apart using the slot head together by the screw. Assuming the screw wont remove anyway then cutting through it or drilling it out will make trying it apart easier.

3. Magikmerlin

Magikmerlin Member

I’m not worried about the heater block since I have spares. My problem is how to get the remainder of the heatbreak (throat) out of the heat sink since there isn’t enough to grab with pliers. I thought I might try an easy out like they use for removing stripped screws. Thought I’d ask for some advice before pulling outa drill lol

4. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Never tried it, but no real reason an easy-out shouldn't work. Maybe some heat on the heat sink might expand it? Worth a try :)

5. Magikmerlin

Magikmerlin Member

The easy out worked like a champ! Thanks!

jfb likes this.