Removing Toolplate Screws (Loctite)

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Paul Arden, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

I'm just getting read to do the Hermera upgrade and just tore down one of my V6 toolheads.

Does anyone have any tips for removing the countersunk screws which fix the receiver and hotend holder to the toolplate?

The build guide instructed us to use Loctite on those screws which I did, most I was able to remove however the screws supplied are very soft and strip easily.

I guess its a general question of how to remove screws with Loctite but in this case the softness of the screws and small allen size are making it tricky.

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

After the whole problem with Loctite and the Acrylic panels, I ended up not using the Loctite there. I probably should check them all more regularly than I do as there's surely enough vibration to loosen them. I did notice the side panel fixings had come loose. Sorry - no advice other than to try to get the most closely fitting allen key you can find and pray to the 3d printing gods.

3. Haytham Bennani

Loctite will loosen up under heat. If you can, use either a heat gun or (even better) a soldering iron to heat up the screw. Should pop right out easily.

garethky, Spoon Unit and Paul Arden like this.
  4. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

For m3 or smaller use purple threadlocker or the screw can end up failing before the locker. Even the removable blue kind. Learned from experience.

Paul Arden likes this.
  5. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

I had to drill the head off the bolt. Yeah heat works on locktite but the soft head strips before you realize the locktite is too tight.
    The bottomline is DO NOT USE LOCKTITE wherever you will need to service... and YES you WILL need to service the tool plate. See the Toolplate fail post I will be posting right after this.
    Telling us to use locktite here was WRONG.

6. Spoon Unit

Loctite make a huge number of different products with different strengths, designed to suit differing locking amounts in different conditions.

7. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

Before they changed the motion system assembly guide to remove the instructions to use Loctite I’m fairly sure there was picture of the bottle of what Loctite was being used so I went and purchased that one. I probably could have done well to get something weaker (if I recall it was the middle of the road one).

If I manage to get all of my toolplate ones out I won’t be using any Loctite when putting the Hemera on anyway since they screw into plastic parts now.

It does feel like anywhere Loctite is still specified in the instructions the specific formulation should be given to avoid issues. Though I would be pretty tempted after the previous experience not to use it at all.

8. Spoon Unit

Given the issues I had with the acrylic, I ended up being super cautious about using any thread lock. I had only the tiniest of the blue loctite, so had to order some more and ended up going with something similar, rather than exact one in the photos. Even so, I think I used it very sparingly and only on parts going nowhere near acrylic. Anything that goes into the main frame doesn't have it unless it was connected before the acrylic cracks appeared.

9. yngndrw

yngndrw Well-Known Member

On the subject of tight hex screws and soft hex keys, I usually use the hex screwdrivers made for the RC model industry - I find that they are made out of a much stiffer metal and don't round over which means that they also fit the screws better and don't damage them. I've removed tight screws where a regular hex key just turned with these before.

I don't know which brand mine are anymore, but this is the sort of thing I mean:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACAMPTAR-Screwdriver-Helicopter-Aircraft-Repair/dp/B07V3B9HJM/