COMPLETE Removing Y motor vibrations

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Sarah Nicholson, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Despite having a 1.1 BigBox which comes with a damper for the Y axis motor, I found I was still getting some vibration from the Y axis which although not massively loud had a particular buzzy quality which was driving me slowly insane. On careful examination, I found that despite being decoupled from the printed mount by the damper the end of the motor was still able to touch the back acrylic panel and hence cause the vibration.

The solution was quite simple, I modified the supplied Y axis motor mount by extending the back face that screws to the rear panel by 2mm, and by moving the bottom and front wall out by 2mm each to create a little more space around the motor. This ensures the motor is completely decoupled from the mount and the back wall and has completely eliminated the annoying sounds.

I've attached the STL if anyone else should be suffering the same problem.

Attached Files:

Alex Stevenson likes this.
  2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I wonder why that happened as mine is clear by about 1mm all around with the stock parts but your solution is good.

3. Sarah Nicholson

I suspect there is some very minor variation in the exact position of the mounting holes which coupled with similar minor variation in the printed parts might be enough to put the motor on a very slight angle, this may well be exacerbated by the damper since the motor is only held to the bracket by 2 screws.

mike01hu likes this.
  4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Sarah Nicholson

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ya my fault, I buried it ;) but you made a solution so this is COMPLETE! :D

7. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

If I remember rightly, the motor ends up touching the case if you tighten the mount-case screw at the base of the motor first.

(It was my natural inclination to set the belt tightness with that and then use the other two for alignment. Bad idea!)

Much better to have a redesigned part and remove this finickiness.

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Bo Petersen likes this.
  9. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

I decoupled mine straight away with foam padding and filed off a corner that was touching the stepper.
    Unfortunately, the buzzing is still there. I think a big part of it is actually transmitted through the belt and reverberating through the Y axle.