Repetier on Bigbox

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Stian Indal Haugseth, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I'm considering Repetier on my BigBox. Have anyone else tested this? I would like to know peoples experience with Repetier versus Marlin in general.

It looks like it supports automated mesh bed leveling which is a bonus. Looks like they also support dual Z stepper drivers and dual Z endstops. If they can combine this to have a automatic leveling of Z1 and Z2 with auto MBL I'm all for it!

Haven't found anything conclusive about a docking position / dump bucket.

2. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I've been using RepetierHost exclusively for my BoxBox Dual and my Prusa i3.
    I hated the Simplfy3d and its process. its too dis-jointed.

In RepetierHost, you can use any of the several external slicers, I have been having great results with Slic3r.
    And i use if over USB connection for live real time control.

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

@Steven, I would probably not be using RepetierHost very much. Only the FW.

I prefer Simplify3D over Slic3r and Cura.

How is the Repetier FW working out?

4. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I know the RepetierHost settings fairly well, but the best lesson is some YouTube tips.

5. Stian Indal Haugseth

OK, I got the impression in another thread just now that you don't use Repetier for the bigbox?

6. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Docking position/Dump bucket doesn't really require any specific FW support does it ? I mean all the purge stuff is written in as Gcode steps by the slicer anyway so that doesn't really change ?

Be interesting to try.

7. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Actually the opposite; I use RepetierHost and HATE HATE HATE, (did I say Hate enough ?) Simplify3d. I use my RepetierHost direct over USB to the Bigbox (and to my Pruse i3). I hate how Simplyfy3d is setup, tries to do direct connect but not as seamlessly as RH. The layout is not to my liking and is convoluted.

Granted I loose my Octoprint connection, but I still retain the webcam feature to remotely monitor my prints.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  8. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I checked out of using RepetierHost the moment they started letting the OSX version lag so badly behind the Windows/Linux releases, I see finally they have brought the Mac version up a bit earlier this month....only been waiting a year.

The Linux build was a pain in the backside as well with some really icky dependencies on obsolete versions of Mono....and Windows...yeh not happening here.

S3D I was really quite unsure of at first and I still think it is a bit underdeveloped in places for the price and has some icky licence terms, but I do have it working quite well now.

Like Reply

mike01hu likes this.
  9. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

You will see from my very early posts that I had similar misgivings about S3D and was about to get a refund when some things started to make sense and I persevered with it before my BB arrived but I never quite got consistent results with my K8200. With the BB it was different, with consistency right from the start, other than the BB quirks, and I am now more comfortable with it. I still love the Repetier user-interface, which is streets ahead of S3D, but my old slicer favourite Slic3r does not hit the spot anymore, being not quite as flexible. It is worth noting though, Repetier costs nothing!

10. Stian Indal Haugseth

I realise I never said I was really wondering on the firmware :) Doesn't look like many have tried it yet.

Wonder why. Are there some missing features in Repetier FW?

So far I have started to ask some questions in the Repetier forums as I'm also looking to get dual Z endstops to level my bed to the frame.