Replacement LCD Suggestions for the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by jet, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Rotary encoder on mine is finally dying. What a piece of crap, I've been using this for what, five years as my main printer and a nickle-part wears out?!?!?

:)

I don't mind buying a new one, but while I have it apart, are there any easy upgrades?

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Good one! If it fails just after 5 years it's great engineering! Because that means you have to buy a new part and all guarantee and consumer buyer protection has ended. Not so god for the consumer, but that's another issue.

Recommended but more involved upgrade:
    If you want to upgrade I can only recommend going with a modern controller like Duet 3. But you might have to print adapters for mounting controller and a display if you want that or drill new holes in the acrylic. You do not need a display for Duet as you can use any tablet, mobile or computer via web interface.

Repair existing components:
    For a drop in replacement it should be pretty straight forward just replacing the rotary switch with some soldering skills. Sourcing a switch should be easy. DigiKey or Mouser has a very large catalogue. I could probably help finding the part. Any respectable electronics repair shop should be able to help. There should be several here that has parts left over after upgrading to a Duet or similar. I have both controller and the display module laying around somewhere. They where used a few months at most before I switched to Duet.

Easy upgrade:
    Not sure if there is one. You could probably find a better display supported by the firmware but it would probably not fit perfectly. Creating a new display housing would probably be needed.

I't all depends what you are capable of doing your self and willing to do.

#2 Stian Indal Haugseth, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

If you want a newer sleeker controller with built in web interface I can really recommend Duet. I have Duet 2 but considering upgrading to Duet 3 just for its Raspberry Pi integration. It's just fantastic pleasing to have a web interface to do everything.

Duet supports external displays like PanelDue - Duet3D (dozuki.com).

With the web interface you could just use any tablet if you have one laying around and you do not really need a dedicated display.

4. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've been thinking about Duet, but I already have a Pi in my BigBox running Octoprint. I've read that they are much better controllers in general, so maybe I'll just get another reprap device and do a planned upgrade to Duet. I thought about sourcing/replacing the encoder but I can get an entire unit here in a couple of days for $18, including shipping.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  5. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Looked at Duet, but looking at SKR Pro I might go that way. I'm fixing the Bigbox so I can print some parts I need for my Lasersaur upgrade, but then a SKR upgrade on the Bigbox might be worth the pennies. Run Klipper instead of Marlin2, check out these performance differences:

https://www.klipper3d.org/Features.html

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.