Replacement parts - snapping mounts on X carriage

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Paul Seccombe, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

I have also suffered the issue of the fan support snapping on the X carriage. I super glued this and was planning on printing a replacement today. Unfortunately my overnight print resulted in it breaking again and taking the z height sensor mount with it:mad:

I have super glued the sensor mount back and will likely not bother with the fan as PETG doesn't appear to need it.

My first question is, what settings (in particular infill) have people been using to print the parts?
    I think the only support material needed for this part is where the belt tensioner goes - can anyone else confirm this?

The big issue however appears to be that with so many people suffering from the same failure, can we get access to the native files so we can try to create a better alternative (or will the Bigbox team release another version)?

2. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

The native flies are all in the repo I believe

3. Paul Seccombe

OK - I found the 123D files in the repo and have wrestled with 123D tonight to create a version of the dual x carriage where the fans and the z probe are held in place with magnets. I will print the parts tomorrow (if my current super-glued carriage holds out). My hope is that the magnets will provide sufficient "spring" to just result in the parts moving if they hit anything. Worst comes to the worst, the "arms" might still break but if this happens it will just need new arms to be printed and quickly replaced and not the complete carriage rebuild which is currently required. I will report back once I know if the plan is going to work.

mike01hu and fpex like this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I would like to see your design, because I want to change some things too. like a complete extruder and hot end combined part for simpler servicing and plugable cables.

5. Paul Seccombe

Need to do some more tweaking of the design. The pockets I made for the magnets aren't quite big enough....I also had the main piece lift on my a little during the print....time to wipe the UHU around a bit.

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

There's a far bit of shake on the print head. Will need decent string magnets for the job. And they'll still need to be able to move up and down a little if you plan to change between standard and volcano nozzles.

7. Paul Seccombe

The magnets arrived this evening (thanks Amazon Prime). They are plenty strong enough I think and I still have the full height adjustment. Shame I have to go to work tomorrow.

Stefan likes this.
  8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I would think that the fan needs to hook over a horizontal "ledge" which takes it's weight by gravity (and the most forceful vibrations). The magnet then serves to stop the hook from slipping off the edge.

Another trick (used by magnets for holding things on car roofs) is to put in a layer of rubber and so add friction to the mix. However that might also stop the magnet from pulling back a fan that had been slightly displaced by a bump.

Discovered a new kind of "fan catcher" scenario last night: when printing chunky filaments with a volcano that don't bridge well, if they fall between support pillars then part goes "down" whilst other parts may be forced "up". It only takes a couple of mm of "rise" and that chunky filament loop will grab the fan.

9. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

How are you getting on Paul? I *ahem* dynamically disassembled my fan mount by catching it on a part last night.