Replacing The Rumba....advice needed :)

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by cez, Jun 29, 2017.

1. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Bit the bullet and got a replacement sent out just incase, because I'm more convinced it's the board as time passes.

http://ooznest.co.uk/3D-Printer-El…/…/RUMBA-Controller-Board

Purchased this with 5 A4988 steppers. The plan is to put my old steppers on the new board, plug everything in and reload the firmware.

If one of my old steppers is broken and I have to use the new ones, do i do anything to them? or is it simply a case of tuning the volts and away I go?

Also I have heard that this board has just two output connectors in a different place, Raspberry pi power and lid fan. How will I locate those?

My Thanks Guys xx

#1 cez, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Never remove or install the A4988 boards while the Rumba is powered up!
    Never connect or disconnect the steppers while the Rumba is powered up!
    Make sure the A4988 is oriented correctly when you install it! If you put it in backwards you may fry the Rumba and all the A4988 boards!
    Double check that any replaced A4988 is oriented correctly AGAIN before you power up the Rumba!

cez likes this.
  3. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

And make sure the heatsink isnt shortening out anything!!! Your driver will go poof and smell funny

cez likes this.
  4. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Good advice, my thanks :)

Make sure the A4988 is oriented correctly when you install it! If you put it in backwards you may fry the Rumba and all the A4988 boards!
    Double check that any replaced A4988 is oriented correctly AGAIN before you power up the Rumba!

...so say i use the new A4988 steppers i can fit them in any order left to right as long as they are the right way round (the pot screw closest to me/at the bottom)

Never remove or install the A4988 boards while the Rumba is powered up!
    Never connect or disconnect the steppers while the Rumba is powered up!

.....Are these the same thing? or are you talking about the A4988 boards and the stepper motor cables?

#4 cez, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  5. cez

cez Well-Known Member

To eliminate this i may just use the new steppers, which i can fit in any order as long as the voltage pot screw is at the bottom/closest to me is that correct?

6. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

You have two posts going o with slightly different focus.

Please read the other post about voltage checks polarity etc, and let us know did the BigBox stop working or was this the very first attempt to power it up?

7. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

@cez first raised this on Facebook and it occurred at switch-off of her working printer and there has been a long dialogue there with no resolution. Power is OK to the board but there is no LED activity on the motherboard or activity on the LCD and the printer is not visible to the controlling PC; a sequence of stepper driver removal and other attachments, including Octopi, achieved no change. Although she was advised to re-flash the board, the fact that the PC could not see it thwarted this check. The consensus is that the board has failed but that is still open to conjecture.

cez likes this.
  8. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Very well said Mike :) as it turns out the 5v regulator on the old board had failed, it powerd via usb when the jumper was moved but not via the mains. As turning that on would be a bit of a fire hazzard I replaced the old board today with a new Rumba. Im currently rewiring all the connections, though a couple do seem to differ on the new board from ooznest

#8 cez, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    mike01hu likes this.
  9. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Good luck with the work Cez!