Replicator 2 with Titan Aero Build

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Mike Kelly, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've been poking at this design for a few months now. My replicator 2 is pretty reliable, but I hated the extruder. I had originally come up with a way to use an E3D v6 + titan on it, but it was big and bulky. I knew a titan aero would be a great extruder for this machine.

[​IMG]

Here's what the V1 looked like. Just a really bare bones mount and fan shroud. The shroud actually splits the airflow to bring it around to both sides of the nozzle, but it's not well optimized right now, I want to run some FEA on it, but prototyping a few designs and doing some hot wire anemometer tests would probably be more effective.

[​IMG]

It's a tight fit around the hot end
    [​IMG]

Printed in ABS with enough room for a silicone sock should keep it from warping or melting. Might try and print it on the multijet fusion at work :)

The first try was a failure. I had a bad "guide" in the model which blocked a portion of the airflow. I also had someone else set up the print and they didn't orient like I wanted so both test pieces broke pretty quick
    [​IMG]
    Note how left stream shoots forward and not towards middle like right channel. Water seems to make a good flow test

The goal is to evenly split the flow in a way that gets balanced airflow from either direction:
    [​IMG]

I don't think it's quite there yet though.

I wired up the V1 design and thought it was ready to start printing, but it turned out the nozzle was about a 5-10mm away from the bed. Luckily I found some spacers from old TV mounts. They're plastic but should work well enough for now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There also really wasn't any great way to manage the wire harness, so I went back to CAD and worked on a next generation design. Minor tweaks to the airflow path (shown above), wire management points, and reinforced the fan shroud to reduce it breaking apart.

[​IMG]

I still have some concerns with the design, but I'll hopefully get this printed and start putting it together again.

All part of the process of converting this bot to a PC machine :)

Anyways just wanted to share and hopefully encourage me to get this thing finished and have a working printer again :p

Antoine and Ephemeris like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Vik Sahota

Vik Sahota Member

the other nice way to confirm the airflow underneath - set a bowl of water on the build plate and lower the head down close to it and observe the disturbance pattern across the surface.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. Aaron Wee

Aaron Wee New Member

Hi is there a file for this carriage?

Josh H likes this.