Reprinting BigBox Parts

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Josh C., Aug 17, 2016.

1. Josh C.

Josh C. Member

We need to print a new Hybrid Direct Extruder piece as ours had the little feed tube riser piece break off. What is the proper filament material and print settings for this part?

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Josh C.

Josh C. Member

Anybody???

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Edge or even PLA if it's not too hot around the part should be OK at 0.2mm layers. I would print with 100% infill and 3 perimeters with 25% infill overlap.

4. Josh C.

Josh C. Member

Thanks Mike!

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Personally I would avoid PLA after I printed that part in it. Dimensionally you get what you want, however the worries come when you tighten screws into it. With PLA, you'll most likely hear cracking and, to me, that just felt worrying. Given that for such parts, you don't use 100% infill, I had visions of the tension continually pushing against it that inner fill pattern and eventually something going. I also heard creaking and cracking during printing. Maybe I over-tightened it. In any case, I ended up printing in PETG (didn't have Edge at that time, but that's also PETG I think) and the result is completely different. I have the same print accuracy and there's no concern when tightening; it just continues to feel super solid.

Actually I see that Mike mentions 100% infill. I'll be surprised if such a large block will print with 100% infill as I understand the internal strains will grow large and cause the part to warp more than with a low infill. My extruder parts are printed in PETG at 0.2 layer, 3 permiters, and I think I used 12% honeycomb infill.

6. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

As @Spoon Unit says, honeycomb infill is good and gives the best strength but I have printed many larger parts with full infill without a problem. So much depends on the multitude of variables that come with 3D printing and what works for one may not for another, so hit the try button! :rolleyes:

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Yep. 3D printing is all about learning what works for you.

8. Josh C.

Josh C. Member

Thanks Spoon Unit! And thanks again Mike01hu!

Ordered some edge, should be here by the weekend. I'll give it a try with different infill.

Best regards