Retraction setting change?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So the tiny dots on the rocket correspond to the S3D random start points, so I assume this is retraction or start extruder settings? (Note you can only really see them with the LED on the rocket nozzle, otherwise they are super subtle)

[​IMG]

mike01hu likes this.
  2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Without seeing it in person I would say that's a fair bet. With a print like the rocket you might be able to get away with vase mode and eleminte that all together.

Haven't tried vase mode on something with a closed top so not sure how that works yet.

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

If you can divide the rocket into body and fins, maybe it's possible to make the body an S3D process in vase mode and the fins as second "normal" process. Both processed / printed at the same time?

In any case regarding the spots, go into the S3d troubleshooting guide and look at the part on "Blobs and Zits".

I have had quite a lot of success using the "Coasting" feature to reduce deposits at the end of paths and a small negative "extra restart distance" to reduce deposits at the beginning. My suggestion is to follow their guide minutely, study the nozzle as the marks are made to understand what is happening (beginning or end of path) then make only one change to the settings at a time. No point in doing the whole print each time so concentrate on some zits at the very beginning. With Colorfabb XT I currently have Extrusion multiplier = 0.9, extra restart distance = -0.1mm, coasting = 0.3mm and this has made a world of difference.

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

This rocket can be printed in spiral mode.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@R Design it is not possible to have multiple processes if one is in vase mode...