Reviews/Thoughts on those who have a BigBox hybrid

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Gail Jo, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Gail Jo

Gail Jo Member

BigBox Hybrid owners, what are your thoughts? Does it print well? I'm wondering if this system can be adapted into my Prusa i3 when it arrives. Seems like there are other derivatives of the BigBox, direct dual and idex bowden/direct. Is it because the hybrid system wasn't as good as the other alternatives?

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I'm prejudiced towards the Dual Titan Direct since I've put a lot of energy into perfecting it for my own needs. (And as an aside I am not impressed by the IDEX compared to the Dual Titan Direct but that's another topic. ;) )

As for the dual hybrid, I know it has worked for many people. Personally, I find it a strange item, neither fish nor fowl. The argument for direct is it has minimal lag, but unfortunately it's heavier. The good thing about a Bowden setup is the minimal moving mass, but at the cost of the feed through the nozzle lagging due to the long distance from the extruder. Some folks argue that Bowden is terrible because of the lag. Others argue you that the advantage of direct drive is theoretical but not really noticeable.

Depending on what you're doing I guess either point of view could be true, but whichever works for you the hybrid seems designed to disappoint. If direct drive is better for your purposes, why add a supposedly inferior Bowden extruder? If the Bowden is perfect for your purposes, why go backwards and add the heavy direct drive you've decided you don't like?

Like I said, neither fish nor fowl.

mike01hu and Alex Stevenson like this.
  3. cez

cez Well-Known Member

I like having the choice, but hate not having independent heads. I wish there was an idex hybrid