IDEAS Richrap's single extruder X-carriage: pro's and the cons?

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by R Design, Jun 9, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

The blurb says "After removing the old BigBox Carriage" I assume this means the BB 1.0 carriage as in Kickstarter?

So I can remove the carriage with the two large and heavy motors and fit this?

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

The fact that you said "...two large..." I presume means you have a dual, if so, then I would say no, in that RichRap's is a Pro. Of course, you could do it but then you'd lose a hotend.

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Could he add that to his text?

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Who and what? If you mean RichRap should add this, then you gotta contact him... I doubt he reads this forum...
    Still the question why, if you read and have a look at the parts you see that there is only one hotend...
    If someone is too dumb to see that this is a mount for only one hotend I doubt he will be able to do this change anyways, there is "build manual", no BOM of screws or nuts you need...

6. R Design

The big question is, should he have gone one step further - like @Chase.Wichert - and put the hotend in between the X axis bars?

Or was it a smart move to keep it simple, put the hotend out front and have to make a little change to the bed?

What I really like about Chase's design is that it both moves the centre of gravity (the motor!) towards the plane of rods and, by moving the X rods further apart, brings further dampening to such wobble in the carriage as there is.

(And there is a lot of wobble in our carriage which I think screws up prints when there are movements at speed.)

However I haven't managed to get anyone else excited about these aspects of Chase's design so I'm beginning to doubt myself.

7. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I prefer Chase Design as well.

8. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

With his slide in carriage, you wouldn't be able to put it between the x-axis rods, you couldn't slide it in. You would have to go in from the top, or bottom.. Or maybe from the left or right side.. So maybe you could do it, just from the left or right... Nevermind me.

"Oh, you should never never doubt what nobody is sure about" ;)

9. R Design

The only thing I'm still doubting are these 360 degree fans.

I mean I LOVE the idea. But....

10. Chase.Wichert

What are you doubting about them?

11. R Design

Like we saw in the Solidworks simulations it doesn't seem like the air comes out very fast on 360 designs. (I really WANT it to, because unidirectional fans SUCK).

Since Richrap only does big FAST prints with a Volcano, I don't think he'd notice if the fan wasn't working very well, so it's perhaps not been properly tested yet?

Or maybe the airflow in his part is much better?

12. Chase.Wichert

I don't know, I increased the opening size to help with airflow, those fans don't produce a lot of pressure, so maybe volume is key.

mike01hu likes this.