Rods in x-axis assembly tight fit

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Stian Indal Haugseth, May 2, 2016.

1. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm thinking that if the rods in x-axis assembly is too tight I will not easily get the correct distance between the x-axis printet ends.

What's happening is I'm not able to adjust them so the y-axis rods flex when I move the x-axis assy back and forwards.

I recon i have to take them apart and sand the rod holes. Or drill them out?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Have you already tightened the Y-Axis front brackets? If you have tightened these too soon then that could make the Y-Axis rods flex (bend) when you move the X-Carriage backwards and forwards. Check the "Commissioning" part of the WiKi; I think the Y-Axis front brackets are only tightened during commissioning.

I did not have to sand or drill any holes in any of the X or Y axis parts.

In "Commissioning" (Their text is in bold)

"We are assuming you have not tightened any of the pulley grubscrews or done up any of the screws holding the Y-Axis components to the frame. If you have done so please loosen them off now."

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

No, they were all loose. It's the rods themselves that's stuck in the printer parts holes.

I had to dismantle everything, even the back y-axis components as I could not get the rods out after I got them in. Now I have drilled the holes and I can get them in and out without problems. Only I cracked a bit of one back y-axis part. I think I'll be alright but I might have to replace it :(

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Try Superglue I had one part break one which does not have much stress and it stuck really well.

If holes are only just too small find a drill bit that is fractionally larger than the hole and rotate it anti-clockwise YES anti-clockwise. I didn't believe this either until I tried it. You may have to purchase a metric or number or letter drill bit to get just the right size. There are lots of tables on the web that show the sizes in thou.

5. Stian Indal Haugseth

Wuss! I hand screwed the drill clockwise and then at increasing speed. Why would I purchase metric drill bits. That's all I have and need :p

Everything fits better now. The cracked part is around where I would tighten the bolt that tightens the rod. But it sits fairly well. If it gets to be a problem I will have to print a new part.