S3D: Stop the air flow in the end - back to the lab!

Discussion in 'General' started by UlrichKliegis, Jan 18, 2016.

1. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Not sure if this concerns the BigBox profile for S3D since I don't have my Box yet. But I had a chance to learn more about S3D in the past days and weeks. One of the things that annoyed me was that the parts cooling fan did not stop after the last drop of filament has been extruded. Slic3r switches the fan off after everything has been done, S3D does not.
    A quick look into the g-code shows that the parts cooler is controlled by the M106 Sxxx command. xxx takes values between 000 and 255,
    Adding the command line

M106 S0

to the end-of-job script in the profile takes care of that.

This revealed another user-unfriendly weakness of the program - if you change such a global parameter that is valid for all configurations and combinations, you have to do that in each and every profile separately. Slic3r has separate configuration files for the printer itself (where you define its geometry and global technical parameters), filament (including temperature control) and the printing process itself where you define layer thicknesses, speed and other dynamic and object-related data. S3D lacks that.

Back to the lab, would be my advice.

mike01hu likes this.
  2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

You have got to where I was with S3D. OK, it is eminently configurable but the inability to set overall global variables is a real pain, although once I have a profile for a particular filament type it is less onerous as changes are usually minor for say different colours.

You will have noticed that Richard Horne (Richrap) on G+ has also persevered with S3D but still uses Slic3r when he is less sure of how S3D will perform. I respect Richard's views very much, due to his extended experience in the field.

Mike

3. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I agree, there are other more fundamental things too that don't seems to carry over in S3D.

For example if you change the filiment diameter it seems to be a change in the overall process settings, not the filiment settings. So if you want to change from red to blue for example but they have differnt diameters you have to either create a whole seperate process or manually change it each time instead of just selecting the differnt filiment profile.

I wonder if the Big Box community complies a wish list for S3D for simple things like this if we can have any sway in the future development.

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I suspect at this stage, with only a potential few hundred users, we would have little influence, although I would hope that the BigBox company would take on the role to represent our views as this affects their reputation by recommending S3D.

As I have said elsewhere, I will continue to try to make it work for me and hope that S3D gets to work on addressing the issues, as there are features that I and others like but . . . !

Mike