S3D Toolchanging issues

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Watchmaker, May 31, 2021.

1. Watchmaker

Watchmaker Member

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with S3D, which is a pity as I like it generally. I am trying to print with 2 tools and am getting a problem when the tool changes.

On the first change there is no issue, but subsequent changes I get a huge over extrusion causing a large blob as the new tool starts to print. Looking at the gcode S3d is generating I can see what is wrong but cannot work out why.

As the first tool prints all goes well until it comes to change to the next tool. When this happens I get a retraction before the change (see below)

G1 E-5.0000 F3000

The tool then changes and after wiping and moving to the start point I get an extrusion (see below)

G1 E5.0000 F3000

My retraction is set to 0.5mm, I have a zero extra restart distance and a retraction speed of 2400mm/min so I have no idea where this has come from. During normal printing with one tool all retractions are handled OK, it is only when the tool changes that this appears.

Can someone please help before all my hair disappears.

Thanks.

PS. This has raised a couple of other issues with the way S3D works but I will stick to one at a time so as not to overcomplicate things.

2. Watchmaker

Watchmaker Member

Now I fill a little bit stupid as I have found where the extra retraction and therefore the extra extrusion was coming from. I had not spotted the Tool Change Retraction settings in S3D.

So to help anyone else with a case of "can't see the wood for the trees" the setting for retraction on a tool change are under the Other tab in the process settings. I could have saved myself 2 days of frustration if only I had opened my eyes.

I hope my other issues are as easily solved.

3. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Hi! I don't know if I can help, but I'll try. There are so many ways for that to happen. First, on the "Other" tab in s3d, do you have something set for "Tool change retraction distance" ? Second, on the "Scripts" tab, do you have anything set up for "Tool change script" ?

4. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Glad you figured it out