Sagging bed

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Nicholasav, May 14, 2021.

1. Nicholasav

Nicholasav Member

This should be somewhat straightforward -- does anyone have a solution for a sagging bed?

I can level things almost perfectly on the X axis using calibrated toolmakers levels. Unfortunately there is no adjustment for Y, and it sags so much I see a .3mm difference between front and back probe points.

Any advice? I don't want to just add knobs/springs to a poorly cantilevered bed, and have even considered machining my own mounts... Surely something is just out of spec, or I've missed an obvious adjustment point?

2. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

My bed bracket was a little bent and it caused some issues for levelling. I initially used a quick fix, but E3D agreed to send me a replacement. After E3D replaced it, my probe deviations were =0.1mm or below, usually, but sometimes a little more.

I have a feeling the beds are a little prone to bowing because of the thickness. So far, mesh bed levelling has had no problems taking care of it, though.

https://forum.e3d-online.com/threads/bent-bed-assembly-or-what-am-i-doing-wrong.3698/#post-36442

3. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

You can add washers or shims between the bed and the standoff pillars, or between the standoff pillars and the bed support.

4. Nicholasav

Nicholasav Member

Thanks guys. Shimming should work as a good short term solution until I can remove it for proper inspection. I just really dislike shim... :)