Saggy socks and General Edge Issues

Discussion in 'General' started by Mike Ratcliffe, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Mike Ratcliffe

My Silicone Socks kept sagging and ruining prints so I tied some fuse wire around the top of the sock to hold it in place.

Sadly, that has backfired and the wire has somehow broken my thermistor (probably by pushing against the wires).

I need the sock because V6 hotends are magnets for Edge filament.

Has anybody found a way of holding their socks up that doesn't damage anything?

2. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

Sounds like something is shifting, or pushing at your socks; they should fit snugly, and not move at all once installed.

Perhaps the bottom of your sock has been chafing against your print while in motion? Perhaps a print had started to lift...

At least mine have been doing a grand job. Be interested to know if there are known issues I should be aware of though.

3. Mike Ratcliffe

When I receive the new thermistor (and, hopefully, Haribos) I should have a look and see if any of the V6 wires are pushing at it... I suppose they could be.

The socks work fine with ABS but Edge filament is very sticky. I have found the following issues:
    1. The first layer should be high (approx 0.3mm): If not then the melted filament accumulates on the nozzle and pushes the socks off. Edge likes high layers anyhow so it makes sense to print all layers around 3mm.
    2. The extrusion multiplier should be turned down to around 90% to avoid accumulating Edge filament on the nozzle (of course you should use a single walled thing to correctly calibrate your extruder).
    3. Use retraction so that you don't get a hairy extruder.
    4. Use a honeycomb infill because then the nozzle doesn't pass the same point a gazillion times and pick up filament each time.
    5. Don't use a layer fan as it stops the layers bonding together. Instead increase "Slow down if layer time is below X seconds" (Slic3r) or "minimum layer time" (Cura).
    6. Print reasonably slowly.
    I am sure that there are other tricks I could use to prevent Edge getting all over my nozzle and pushing the shoe off, which is why I am posting here.

#3 Mike Ratcliffe, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Alex Stevenson likes this.
  4. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I use a cable tie around the top of the sock being careful to make sure it doesn't touch the heater, block, thermistor or cables.

Mike Ratcliffe likes this.
  5. Mike Ratcliffe

Yeah, a cable tie is probably the way to go.

6. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

You might want to check how much your nozzle is screwed into your block. We generally recommend not having the nozzle screwed all the way into the block. When we assemble the V6 over here, we first screw it in flush into the block and then unscrew it by 1/2-3/4 of a turn. You then screw your break in compensating for this. This was originally implemented to facilitated hot tightening, and so the socks have been designed with this nozzle height in mind. This way it should stick out far enough to stop any plastic being able to fill the inside of your sock, as the whole seals around the tip of the nozzle.

7. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

As @Antoine says, do make sure the nozzle is about 1/2-3/4 turn out from fully in as this does make a big difference. I use Edge most of the time and have no problems. After a lot of hours of printing it is advisable to remove the sock and clean the inside of it, as I find there is an accumulation of something (not filament) inside that eventually lifts the sock away from the nozzle.