Scaffold Snap doesn't stick to MatX?

Discussion in 'Filament' started by FrankP, Jul 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FrankP

FrankP Member

Hi,

I have a model with a deep horizontal slot that requires an internal support structure. I tried to print this model today with a brand-new roll of blue 1.75mm MatX as the main material, and a brand-new roll of 1.75mm Scaffold Snap as the support material. Unfortunately, the Snap filament doesn't stick to the MatX base material at all - it peels away almost immediately on the second or 3rd support layer.

I'm using a PowerSpec 3D PRO (FF creator PRO knockoff) with all-metal hotends, 0.4mm nozzles, recommended temps (250/250/110). I'm using S3D for slicing & print control.

I have attached a photo showing the problem, and an STL file in case you want to try this trick yourself ;-).

Any thoughts?

Frank

Attached Files:

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Can you post the g-code so I can look at the support etc please.

The hotends are a little hot, I suggest 240 for both. Do you have any print cooling fans turned on?

3. FrankP

FrankP Member

Greg,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have attached the G-code for this project

Regarding cooling, I used the default settings as shown in the attached Simplify3D screenshot.

After my first print failure with this fairly large print, I tried a test print of about 1/4 the area, and the horizontal slot supports adhered well. I suspect this issue is at at least partly due to the size of the print; the MatX main body layer immediately preceding the support layer has time to cool sufficiently so the support material won't stick.

Any thoughts?

Frank

Attached Files:

4. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Hi,

Sorry I haven't replied today. I have been out of the office. I shall get back to you in the morning!

5. FrankP

FrankP Member

Since my first post, I have had some better luck with MatX and Scaffold Snap. I re-levelled my build plate, re-levelled the extruders relative to each other, and raised the support extruder temp from 250 to 260, based on the hope that it would stick better if it was hotter coming out. This seems to have worked (at least for one print), as shown in the following photos.

I plan to try some more challenging prints and see what happens, but for now I am optimistic that I have things working ;-)

Attached Files:

6. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

interesting, I shall add increasing temperatures to my list of tricks!

7. FrankP

FrankP Member

So far I have successfully printed all three of the pieces required to make a complete handicap tag holder, using the 260-degree support extruder temperature trick. The entire holder measures something like 315 x 108mm when assembled, and the slot in question runs the entire length of the holder.

I'm actually thinking I might back the temp off to 255 vice 260, as the support structure sticks a little too well at 260 ;-).

Frank

Greg Holloway likes this.
  8. FrankP

FrankP Member

255 degrees works very nicely. Sticks to MatX and to the 110 degree platform with PEI coating.

Spoon Unit likes this.