Screws not gripping when tightning Y Front Brackets

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by srd, Apr 3, 2016.

1. srd

srd Member

So while building, I had an issue that only one screw on each Y front bracket really took hold. The other screws thread just didn't find anything to take against - as in the hole was too large, I could just push the screw in all the way. On one side I could get a larger screw to take, but with a largeish gap between screw cap and frame. On the other side I got nothing.

The printer itself is printing, but I seem to have a small amount of ringing. The name of the boat is not discernable and the vertical indent on the starboard hull isn't really vertical. Nothing major, but enough to annoy.

I'm guessing the ringing is coming from the Y brackets not being as tight as they could be. Any hints on what I could try to get the Y brackets tightened further?

2. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

If the sqare nut is gone, it's difficult. I remember using M4 x 25 instead of M4 x 20.

Ephemeris likes this.
  3. srd

srd Member

Shining a flashlight into the front hole, the nut still seems to be there. Maybe it got stripped, but the screw threads didn't look like they ground up against anything hard.Since I just got done, I'm shying away from disassembling the y brackets again. Since it isn't that bad, maybe I'll just wait what goodies the next few upgrades bring us. Maybe I'll want to disassemble/reassemble the y axis rod clamping parts anyway.

4. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

I too had some problems with those and succeeded with tweezers, a flashlight and a lot of bad words without putting them out again. :)
    Edit: It's much easier when removing half of the top cover before

5. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I have to second the suggestion of going to a 25 mm screw. I looked at the bracket and it was clearly going to be too easy to back out of the nut during routine operations. Actually I've changed a lot of lengths during the build. Especially when adding lock nuts and washers where the screws were too short to accommodate them.