Second guessing my Volcanoes

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Steven, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I bought TWO Volcanoes and two jet packs during the kickstarter. I'm starting to slightly regret.
    I'm having issue with first layers not sticking to the bed. (Glue stick, kapton tape, blue tape. mix of some).
    Plus with the added height of the heater block, i see other issues... in the Hybrid carriage, Chase's new dual direct titan design.

I still have my original V6 heater blocks and short nozzles. Should I switch back?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

What you mean with "other issues"?
    Chase's design is good for both hotend types, it is even able to fit one normal and one Volcano, some people asked for that at the very beginning. You don't reduce your Z heigh also because the bottom of the carriage is always the same location, the hotends have to be moved up and down to adjust their distance to the bed...
    And what is your issue with the Hybrid? You loose some Z height with the Volcanos...

The Volcano has its special purpose. If you need a lot of material fast then use it, if you have problems, well, then either try to figure it out or switch back to some working state, rest, print, and maybe try again...

3. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I had to extend the sensor adapter to allow it to actually reach the bed.
    The left nozzle will hit the top cap of the left-front corner bed vertical rod.
    I have not tried, if even possible to adjust the height of the left side hotend, so I ended up take out the nozzle. (It would also hit/wipe the layers printed by the right side hotend.

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

If Volcano first layers are not sticking then:

1) a reduced layer height for the first layer (eg 0.2mm net);

2) reducing first layer speed can help too (25% even...);

3) as mentioned above, make sure your Z-offset (or equivalent) is correct and, in particular, the nozzle is not too far away;

5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I never run fan on the first layer regardless, don't really see what utility it adds on a first layer and with the print speed lower for layer one you really run the risk of over cooling the print or the bed surface. I tend to only turn fans on at layer 3 and above

mike01hu likes this.
  6. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I've switched back to the regular V6 blocks for now. I may opt to use molex plugs to make switching easier.

7. Folkert Kaman

Folkert Kaman Well-Known Member

Made a printhead with a Volcano for Chase's Dual Titan using with my X carriage remix with Molex. Have been testprinting with a 1.0 mm and PLA. Sticks perfectly to the bed with a layerheight of 0.5; first layer 90%, width 130 an speed 50. It is easy to swap over with this setup.