Sensorless homing????

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Andy Cohen, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

I'm now up to the wiring part of the build and I see no limit switches. Digging around I'm seeing posts on sensorless homing. Why did e3d go this way? I see no advantage to it. Are there places in the toolpath fot limit switches so those of us who don't want yet another experimental thing to try to work out can simply use switches and get to printing?

2. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

Though I don't think Sensor less homing is a bad Idea, and it is working fine for me on all my printers not just the tool changer, and the fact that the tool changer is a platform for trying new things, Greg allready posted a solution for you HYG:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3843642

Brian Boatright and Ntesla66 like this.
  3. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

Thanks... I'll at least give it try with the sensorless homing, but if it gets in the way of moving forward I'll use this. I'm all for trying new things, but IME it works out best when the new things are not all in the mix at the same time.

Besides the lack of additional HW, what is the advantage? The duet resource states that it's less accurate and it seems from posts I'm seeing that it's not that reliable nor easy to get dialed in.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  4. BrendonBuilds

BrendonBuilds Member

I strongly encourage everybody to use mechanical limit switches for x/y homing. They are FAR more consistent and will allow you to re-home while the print is paused and resume without any visual artifacts on the print. If you try to re-home with sensorless-homing, there is a real possibility you will see the slightest horizontal shift in your print. I made mounts for the switches that only sacrifice about 1-2mm of travel in both dimensions. It's worth the few minutes of modeling and printing for the sanity that comes with the consistency.

Brian Boatright likes this.